Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Drilling the Blum door hinge....

Drilling the Blum door hinge....

This one is quick and easy......

My cabinet doors are painted white - do you normally drill the 35mm (using 1-3/8") hole before or after you paint?

I see pros and cones for each way, but not sure which way to lean....

THX

New England, in a town on the way to nowhere
    I drill, bore, mortise, etc. first- in general, I do all my fit up before any finish is applied so any adjustments won't require a re-finish of parts. Tooling will last much longer if not cutting through paint also.

If you are spraying, you might want to wait and bore the large hole before the final coat of finish is applied and not before the first coat is applied to minimize paint in the hole. But boring the hole can damage the finish so appearance is likely to be better if you bore first. If you are rolling or brushing I would definitely bore the hole first. You could also put a wad of tape or something in the hole when spraying and minimize the buildup. You have to be a little careful about buildup because the hinge is a tight fit.

I've done both, my preference is to drill first and have the doors hanging before final sand and finish, sometimes at work this is not possible on short deadline jobs as the paint must be sprayed. Just be sure to pad the table of your drill press well or cover it with a good smooth scratch free surface if painting first. When holes go first it's a good place to label the doors and a quick piece of blue tape keeps the holes clear, and build up can quickly be removed with your 1 3/8" bit in a cordless drill just to team out any paint, but again taping the holes generally solves the problem.
    "A good miter set up is like yoga pants: it makes everyone's butts look good." Prashun Patel

I find it much easier to trim the door to final size when it is installed... so the cup hinges have to be in place to hang the door. When ready to finish I put masking tape on each hinge - add a number to both hinge and cup hole so they all go back on the same door and hinge adjustments do not have to be repeated.

I spray all my doors and have never had an issue with finish in the cup hinge hole causing problems when the hinge is re-installed.

I do all millwork and fitting before finish when feasible, have yet to have any holes including shelf pin holes fill up with finish (spraying) enough to affect the fit.
    On the rare occasion when finish goes on first, as mentioned, protect it when doing further millwork.

Another vote for drilling them prior to finishing. I drill them before finish sanding as well, just one less step that can ding things up, that's the only reason.

I also drill before finishing. I have a bunch of cardboard circles that are about the size of the cup holes that I put in the holes through the finish cycle. I drew a buhch of circles on a cardboard box a few years ago with a compass and let the kids cut them out.
    Sometimes I think the surest sign that intelligent life exists elsewhere in the universe is that none of it has tried to contact us.
    -Bill Watterson

Reminds me of my safari in Africa. Somebody forgot the corkscrew and for several days we had to live on nothing but food and water.
    -W. C. Fields

If you drill first, Rockler used to carry a device that hooks in cup hole that can b used to hold panel while spraying.

10. Same - foam inserts

Thanks for this tip! It's almost a decade old but good. I made foam inserts. I put painters tape over the foam so I don't ever have to recut them...

Quote Originally Posted by Larry Fox View Post
    I also drill before finishing. I have a bunch of cardboard circles that are about the size of the cup holes that I put in the holes through the finish cycle. I drew a buhch of circles on a cardboard box a few years ago with a compass and let the kids cut them out.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Mark Wooden View Post
    I drill, bore, mortise, etc. first- in general, I do all my fit up before any finish is applied so any adjustments won't require a re-finish of parts. Tooling will last much longer if not cutting through paint also.
    What Mark said....
    Lee Schierer
    USNA '71
    Go Navy!

My advice, comments and suggestions are free, but it costs money to run the site. If you found something of value here please give a little something back by becoming a contributor! Please Contribute

Drill first. No worries of finish damage with handling after. Not enough finish in the hole to matter with normal practices.

I would never want to set a freshly painted cabinet door face down on a drill press or hinge boring machine. One little scuff and more work is created. Holes are all bored and doors fitted before they go to finishing.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Bruce Wrenn View Post
    If you drill first, Rockler used to carry a device that hooks in cup hole that can b used to hold panel while spraying.

Do you use those? I think they are kind of odd considering I want the least finished edge to be the least seen edge (ie top or bottom depending on location).

(I'm not as experienced as most on this page I'm assuming, but I also machine first and finish second.... Minimize handling of finished doors as much as possible)

I just realized how old the Original Post is. : ) Coming back from the dead!
    Yes, I have 3 phase!

Quote Originally Posted by Erik Christensen View Post
    I find it much easier to trim the door to final size when it is installed... so the cup hinges have to be in place to hang the door. When ready to finish I put masking tape on each hinge - add a number to both hinge and cup hole so they all go back on the same door and hinge adjustments do not have to be repeated.

I spray all my doors and have never had an issue with finish in the cup hinge hole causing problems when the hinge is re-installed.
    I also hang the door and then trim to final size.