Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Pics of Pine blanket chest – finished

Blog Entries

Pics of Pine blanket chest – finished

This is the last part of a pine blanket chest build, previous build pics I think are above.

Planing the Cooper, curved chest lid.
    1.jpg

Adding the rabbits along the long grain that will capture the lid panel in the chest top frame.
    2.jpg

Using a cutting gauge and router plane to do the cross grain rabbits.
    3.jpg4.jpg

Using the template to lay out the groove in the frame for the Cooper chest lid and a dry fit.
    5.jpg 6.jpg

The lid glued up. The pine gets dirty so easily that there are multiple “final cleanup” planings. Personally, I really like the look/color of the unfinished pine – IMHO super clean and bright. However the Boss said “it should be darker”. I ended up adding a stain that turned it the color peanut butter (although my initial description of the color was much less appetizing). It seems like every time I try and add color to a project it never works out well. I’m resolving in the future; whatever color/tone the wood is – that’s it – shellac and paste wax for me!

7.jpg8.jpg

Blog Entries
    Fitting the lid to the rest of the chest. I thought the reference services for both pieces were flat and coplanar before I put them together, somehow it took 20 minutes of planing to get them to fit reasonably.
    10.jpg13.jpg

Plowing the groove for the bottom in an African mahogany sliding till.

14.jpg

Dovetailing the till together.
    15.jpg16.jpg

Using a shop built, panel gauge to layout final width for the till bottom. For me a panel gauge is a fundamental tool (sort of the Neander equivalent of the rip fence on your table saw). The first version I built had a blade at the end of the arm. Now I can’t see cutting gauge line, so a pencil is more practical.
    17.jpg

Rabbiting the edges of the till bottom. I’ve had this Japanese rabbit plane for 30 years and the blade is probably some of the best steel in my shop.
    18.jpg

I’ve had trouble avoiding tear out with the rowed grain of African mahogany. This is a St. James Bay kit Norris style infill plane that works great for me with difficult grain woods.

19.jpg

Blog Entries
    Cleaning up the dovetails after assembly, always one of my favorite things.
    21.jpg

The sliding till inside the chest.
    23.jpg

Drilling the mortice for the lock. Kind of a white knuckle or because the rail is relatively thin and the margin to avoid catastrophic blowout is small. In cases like this, I prefer the brace and bit take – takes longer for me to totally screw it up.
    25.jpg

Finally some pictures of the finished chest with plywood bottom and cedar lining.
    26 (3).jpg27.jpg28.jpg29.jpg31.jpg

This chest will be a Christmas gift for my nephew (I’m sure my sister will hate me when it comes time for them to try and get it home). I really enjoyed building this in pine, however the mahogany for the till was really fantastic.

Blog Entries
    My local hardwood yard had a bunch of mahogany cut offs in their discount bin. I’m really tempted to build a another, slightly smaller version mahogany – I might just try and keep this one for myself, if I can slip it by the boss.

33.jpg33.jpg

Thanks for looking,

All the best, Mike

Blog Entries
    The chest is fantastic! Really wonderful detail work.
    Bumbling forward into the unknown.

Hey Mike thats pretty nice,reminds me of a Treasure chest.I like the cooperd top.

I really like it! Pine was a good choice for a big chest, it is probably still reasonably light.

I also like whiteness of unfinished pine, but even seal-coat shellac seems to yellow it a bit. Is there any way to really keep it white? Maybe soap based finish, but that would probably yellow with age as well.

I found that Flexner has a partial answer to my question. Seems that soap finish on pine is done in Denmark, it works, but is high maintenance, so it would not work on a chest that well.
    http://www.woodshopnews.com/columns-...rniture-finish.
    Last edited by Reinis Kanders; 10-15-2015 at 10:05 PM.

Mike, it looks fantastic!

Blog Entries
    Great job on the chest.

Inspirational.

jtk
    "A pessimist sees the difficulty in every opportunity; an optimist sees the opportunity in every difficulty."
    - Sir Winston Churchill (1874-1965)

Pretty awesome, Mike.

Totally cool, your nephew will love it for years! You could put in a jar of jelly as an inside joke , though I think the color came out well.

best
    C
    "You can observe a lot just by watching."
    --Yogi Berra

Very, very nice both on the construction and the look. The only question I have is the hinges. That's a pretty big lid, so are two hinges enough to support it?

Nice work, Mike!

Mike I think you sure hit a home run here. Craftmanship is great.

Stunning. And from reading through this and the prior thread, sounds like you had some fun too.

Wow, you are very talented. That is a great work of art, and an awesome addition to your family.

Just wow.