Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Pics of Pine blanket chest – finished

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Reinis Kanders View Post
    I really like it! Pine was a good choice for a big chest, it is probably still reasonably light.

I also like whiteness of unfinished pine, but even seal-coat shellac seems to yellow it a bit. Is there any way to really keep it white? Maybe soap based finish, but that would probably yellow with age as well.

I found that Flexner has a partial answer to my question. Seems that soap finish on pine is done in Denmark, it works, but is high maintenance, so it would not work on a chest that well.
    http://www.woodshopnews.com/columns-...rniture-finish.

Thanks Reinis for the information about soap finishing. I agree with you, might be a challenge for something that's liable to get fairly rough treatment and needs a durable finish.

For my next pine project, I will likely use Amber shellac and call it done. I tried some of that on a test piece and the Color was much lighter than the stain I used.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Bruce Haugen View Post
    Very, very nice both on the construction and the look. The only question I have is the hinges. That's a pretty big lid, so are two hinges enough to support it?

Nice work, Mike!

That's a great idea Bruce – the Chest lid is fairly heavy and the Pine doesn't hold the hinge screws especially well. I'll pick up a third hinge and add it on.

The lid support is inexpensive hardware and the leverage on the screws holding it to the chest lid is pretty significant. I think there's a fair chance they may pull out sooner rather than later. I was thinking about just using a piece of paracord attached to some simple "U" brackets, but I wasn't sure if the cord would Get caught between the lid and carcass when closing – plus I'd have to brush up on my knots. Maybe next time.

Best, Mike

Wow!!! Very nice detail work....Great results!!!
    Jerry

End of the Oregon Trail in Oregon City, Oregon
    Great job, Mike! I really enjoyed the pictures of this beautiful project. I find myself "pining" to build one for myself!

Mike, hardwood yard off-cut bins can be a treasure trove. I ran across 4/4 soft maple ripped to 1-1/4"+ wide that ended up as many cutting boards. Same for knotty walnut off-cuts...that swirly grain makes beautiful Colt 1911 grips.

Mike,

Beautiful Job! Wow - how many did you throw away before you got it right? I know I would have made 4 or 5 of each piece. Just kidding - you are really a great craftsman and I hope to have that level of skill someday. Your nieces and nephews must love Uncle Mike!

Mike, you continue to amaze me! What a craftsman you are! That is a really nice chest....heirloom quality. Wish you would bring it to our next SDFWA meeting 'Craftsman's Corner' http://www.sdfwa.org/next-meeting/
    Thank you so much for posting your work!

8. Beautiful work, as usual. Thanks for sharing!

Blog Entries
    Really fantastic work! I also prefer to go natural with most things, but it did turn out very nice. I agree about the hinges, a good piano hinge would be fitting of such fine craftsmanship. You might also consider a lid stay, LV have a few types.

Blog Entries
    Thanks everyone for your very kind comments. I sometimes wonder if I'm boring folks with build pictures. Personally I always enjoy the picture/builds others post, so that's why I'm happy to add my two cents.

I'm pleased with the way the chest came out, but like every project if I were to do it over again I might do a few things differently. As I mentioned, I have some mahogany that I'm thinking about for a smaller version of the chest. Maybe flat panels for the carcass without the decorative rabbits I used on this one and perhaps some Line and Berry inlay. I really enjoyed working with the Pine, but the African mahogany I used for the till was absolutely fantastic to work with hand tools. AM has alternating, rowed grain and historically tear out has been a problem for me, but this time that wasn't much of issue, maybe sharper tools .did the trick

Quote Originally Posted by Joe Beaulieu View Post
    Mike,

Beautiful Job! Wow - how many did you throw away before you got it right? I know I would have made 4 or 5 of each piece. Just kidding - you are really a great craftsman and I hope to have that level of skill someday. Your nieces and nephews must love Uncle Mike!

Joe, I certainly had my share of screw ups, but except for the coopered top, the build is pretty straightforward; frame and panel construction with M&T and dovetail joinery. One of the beauties of pine is it doesn't break my heart to have to throw out a piece and start over – Pine is inexpensive and works quickly/easily.

One thing I learned that I might suggest for someone considering a similar piece is to build the Coopered Top first. That way if the radius of the curve is slightly off from what you planned you can just build the frame to accommodated.

[Quote = Don Slaughter] Wish you would bring it to our next SDFWA meeting 'Craftsman's Corner' http://www.sdfwa.org/next-meeting/

Don, I'm flattered by your invitation, but we both know I'm too old and fat to lug the chest around. It's taking up space in the shop right now and that's where it's going to stay until my nephew comes to visit and he can pick it up.

All the best, Mike