Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast

Thread: Nova 1624 vs. Grizzly g0766

Nova 1624 vs. Grizzly g0766

Just when I thought I had finished making decisions on what to get, Rockler goes and takes $400 off the Nova. Now what do I do? The original plan was to hold out until I got my funds in order, drive down to the PA Grizzly store (now closing!!!) from Syracuse, NY to save $200 on a freight charge, and grab the G0766. I want the 22" swing for turning bigger sized bass drums. Well, because they are closing that store, I have no choice but to spend the extra money on the freight, bringing the grand total for just the lathe to at least $1700. The Nova has a nice 16" swing over bed, but recommends not turning anything over 17" outboard. But the price is now down to $1000 at the Rockler store, which I believe Rochester, NY has one, so I can cut out the shipping charge there. The Nova will allow us to up production on our smaller sized diameter drums, but we will still need to get something bigger sometime down the road.

I've read reviews for both machines, and it seems everyone loves both. Now, I cant decide which to get!!!

I will tell you that I have the 0766 and love every aspect of it. It is a huge, wonderful, smooth piece of equipment. The nova doesn't look to be variable speed, which to me, is huge. I can't imagine having to change belts as often as I change speeds. The other, as you already mentioned, is the larger size turnings you can do on the Grizz.

I understand Nova to be a very good quality machine so depending on the finances, it may be the right decision. I can't imagine getting a different lathe (unless money becomes no option in the future, and I don't play the lottery) and the Grizz seems to do every single thing I would want in a lathe.

3. Quote Originally Posted by Sean Benz View Post
    Just when I thought I had finished making decisions on what to get, Rockler goes and takes $400 off the Nova. Now what do I do? The original plan was to hold out until I got my funds in order, drive down to the PA Grizzly store (now closing!!!) from Syracuse, NY to save $200 on a freight charge, and grab the G0766. I want the 22" swing for turning bigger sized bass drums. Well, because they are closing that store, I have no choice but to spend the extra money on the freight, bringing the grand total for just the lathe to at least $1700. The Nova has a nice 16" swing over bed, but recommends not turning anything over 17" outboard. But the price is now down to $1000 at the Rockler store, which I believe Rochester, NY has one, so I can cut out the shipping charge there. The Nova will allow us to up production on our smaller sized diameter drums, but we will still need to get something bigger sometime down the road.

I've read reviews for both machines, and it seems everyone loves both. Now, I cant decide which to get!!!

The Showroom closes at the end of the month in PA and we are offering killer deals on everything that is at the location.

If you go there and pick up the machine, they will give you 20% off the catalog price. This is only for in-stock items physically picked up at the PA location. No shipping, no rain-checks. The G0766, as of today, is in stock there and you can save big by picking it up. We have discounted big so we do not have to move as much product to our MO plant. The new building in MO is not complete yet and we are tight on space. Customers on the East Coast can take advantage if they are able to visit the location. 2 weeks left!

While I own the NOVA DVR XP and like it very much, based on your description of anticipated work it does sound like you'be better off waiting for the Grizzly. While some don't care for certain aspects of the machine most that have it have raved about it. Even if you can make the NOVA work for some pieces you may regret the weight differential on the larger pieces. It is hard to consider not turning with variable speed control. Good luck...

That's a huge discount, and maybe you would not have to pay any sales tax since you're from out of state? I love my G0766, and waited for a convenient time for them to deliver. It's a beast, and I believe it'll be my forever lathe. I'll be making the under storage cabinet this weekend from the shipping crate. Good luck.

Quote Originally Posted by Shiraz Balolia View Post
    The Showroom closes at the end of the month in PA and we are offering killer deals on everything that is at the location.

If you go there and pick up the machine, they will give you 20% off the catalog price. This is only for in-stock items physically picked up at the PA location. No shipping, no rain-checks. The G0766, as of today, is in stock there and you can save big by picking it up. We have discounted big so we do not have to move as much product to our MO plant. The new building in MO is not complete yet and we are tight on space. Customers on the East Coast can take advantage if they are able to visit the location. 2 weeks left!
    Maker of Fine Kindling, and small metal chips on the floor.
    Embellishments to the Stars - or wannabees.

I don't have any experience with either of these lathes, but the fact that you need the bigger swing would be enough to eliminate the Nova right off the bat. No sense buying a lathe that won't fit your needs.

Quote Originally Posted by Sean Benz View Post
    ...... I want the 22" swing for turning bigger sized bass drums. ........ but we will still need to get something bigger sometime down the road.
    20% off makes the G0766 $1240.00. I think the choice id pretty clear.

Quote Originally Posted by Cary Falk View Post

Remember you'll have sales tax of 6%.

Are you sure pa grizzly has one left? I heard it's a ghost town in there.

10. The Nova 1624 is not in the same league with the G0766. While the Nova is a capable lathe, it is belt driven speeds and no inverter. The G0766 has been referred to here by owners as a "beast" and while not as heavy as some larger lathes, it is plenty capable and the mods most of us have done are simply due to the manufacturer producing it to metric dimensions. That means a little opening up of the banjo hole for aftermarket tool rests and taking a file and taking a smidgen off the boss so the chuck inserts fit all the way against the shoulder of the spindle. Both mods are a piece of cake, and you have a machine that will turn with the big boys!

No question in my mind, that if I had your choice, I would go with the G0766, especially after hearing what Mr. Balolia mentions about the 20% discount for picking up at the warehouse. I would make that trip without hesitation! I would pay for it today, then go pick it up to lock in the price he mentions!
    Remember, in a moments time, everything can change!

Vision - not just seeing what is, but seeing what can be!

Quote Originally Posted by Cary Falk View Post
    Even if you have to pay sales tax - it's a very good deal, especially if you get a floor demo model, setup, and help loading it. Delivery with liftgate option put mine at $1735; I'd make sure they have it in stock, fire off the credit card, and go pick it up right away.
    Maker of Fine Kindling, and small metal chips on the floor.
    Embellishments to the Stars - or wannabees.

Quote Originally Posted by Shiraz Balolia View Post

Mr. Balolia, could you give us G0766 owners an update on when you will be shipping the replacement banjos?

I played with the 1624 before I bought my Nova DVR-XP, I would not get it due to the belts vrs variable speed.
    If you can swing it, getting the Grizz -now- sounds like one sweet deal.
    Making sawdust mostly, sometimes I get something else, but that is more by accident then design.

Quote Originally Posted by Ralph Lindberg View Post
    I played with the 1624 before I bought my Nova DVR-XP, I would not get it due to the belts vrs variable speed.
    100%. It is one thing to start out with a $200 lathe that doesn't have VS, but once you start thinking about spending $1000+, it just doesn't make much sense to me to not get a lathe with VS. The existence of something as feature-rich as the Grizz for the price it sells for makes the whole decision easier. Also note that the minimum speed of the 1624 is 200+, which again is not something I would want to put up with on a lathe I spent $1000+ for. Heck, even the Grizz's minimum speed of 100 would bother me since I am used to my 3520b, but at least it is much closer.

15. Actually, the minimum speed on the Grizzly G0766 is 50 rpm, Same as the PM 3520b....the inverter cuts out at 50 rpm. The spec sheet in the catalog only give a general range - it will also exceed 3200 rpms, up to 3260.
    Remember, in a moments time, everything can change!

Vision - not just seeing what is, but seeing what can be!