Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Nova 1624 vs. Grizzly g0766

1. Quote Originally Posted by Cary Falk View Post
    David,
    Unless I read the post wrong, Grizzly is sending the base casting and the locking lever not the complete tool rest. All of the other parts will have to be used from the old tool rest. Not that I am complaining. I plan on ordering the remaining parts to put the old rest back together. If I am the only person thinking this then somebody please set me straight.
    I think this is correct from what I remember Shiraz Balolia stating in one of his posts about the banjo. I have an extra banjo like the original from the 0733 and 0766.....where I used it with my duplicator when I had my G0698, so parts are no problem, but they likely can be gotten from Grizzly if someone needs the parts ......should be able to find them on the G0733 parts list or the G0766 I would think, or just use the ones on the current banjo that came with the 0766.
    Remember, in a moments time, everything can change!

Vision - not just seeing what is, but seeing what can be!

Cary and Roger - I agree that any needed replacement parts for the original banjos will be readily available, and not expensive. Don't know, of course, but I suspect the new banjos will ship fully preassembled (without the tool rest), and perhaps without the 10mm x 1.5 ratcheting lever that locks the tool rest post (a $4.00 item). Since the new banjo will be five inches longer, the main locking lever and cam mechanism will have to come with it. Even if the bottom plate and nyloc nut are not included, we can just use one of the two extra bottom plates that were included as part of the hold-down hardware for the bed in the shipping crate. The large metric nyloc nut is available from several vendors, if you want nyloc. Teflon tape on the threads of a basic nut works pretty well.
    Last edited by David C. Roseman; 10-27-2015 at 10:32 PM. Reason: typo

Quote Originally Posted by Roger Chandler View Post
    Why David! Guess you just couldn't stand not having the biggest Grizzly, huh?!
    [snip]
    Roger, it's quite a machine, as you know. I thought the G0733 was big. I was not prepared for how much bigger the 3 hp motor and the Delta VFD on the G0766 are, by comparison. Photos don't do the lathe justice. I recall seeing a comment on another site a few months ago to the effect that the motor was probably not really 3 hp because it did not look big enough in the pictures. Okay...

4. Quote Originally Posted by David C. Roseman View Post
    Roger, it's quite a machine, as you know. I thought the G0733 was big. I was not prepared for how much bigger the 3 hp motor and the Delta VFD on the G0766 are, by comparison. Photos don't do the lathe justice. I recall seeing a comment on another site a few months ago to the effect that the motor was probably not really 3 hp because it did not look big enough in the pictures. Okay...
    David.....if you need an extra nyloc nut or two, I have some extras. Since you are close by......

Here's a question for everyone. I just talked to grizzly and I asked about the banjo not coming out far enough to turn something with a 22" diameter. It will only allow for up to a 16" swing. The guy on the phone said there's no plan to offer anything like that, and that the only augmentation they did, was to lower the overall height, so the tool rest was a little bit lower. I was under the impression that there was going to be a new banjo that pulled out far enough for the maximum diameter of 22". Does anyone know anything about this?

6. Quote Originally Posted by Sean Benz View Post
    Here's a question for everyone. I just talked to grizzly and I asked about the banjo not coming out far enough to turn something with a 22" diameter. It will only allow for up to a 16" swing. The guy on the phone said there's no plan to offer anything like that, and that the only augmentation they did, was to lower the overall height, so the tool rest was a little bit lower. I was under the impression that there was going to be a new banjo that pulled out far enough for the maximum diameter of 22". Does anyone know anything about this?
    That information is not correct. According to Shiraz Balolia, owner of Grizzly Industrial, right here on SMC he presented drawings of the new banjo that had been lengthened, and also said they are in process of being manufactured. I think you spoke with some lower level person who is not up to speed on all that has transpired. The banjo will look similar, but be longer to accommodate the 22" swing.

Here is a link to his posts on a former thread concerning the G0766 banjo.....

http://www.sawmillcreek.org/showthre...t=#post2446718

Great! Thanks Roger. I must have overlooked that page. My mind is a little more a t ease

I received a 0766 on Monday, I called tech yesterday to confirm they are going to be making a new banjo and the guy told me they are in the process but it will take a while to get done. He went on to tell me anyone that has already received the lathe will automatically be shipped the new banjo. I hope they keep their word.

Yes, another turning friend and SMC member spoke with tech support in the last couple of days and was told that the new banjos are en route from the factory now, will be shipped out when they arrive to owners at no charge, and are 1/2" lower in height at the tool rest receiver and 5" longer in overall length. Evidently, not everyone answering the phones at Grizzly read the memo. Which is regrettable, as I'm sure most SMC members are tired of hearing about it!

David, I liked (and agreed with) your post.

But I'm growing a little bit impatient with Grizzly. I received my G0766 at the beginning of Sept. and I read that the new banjos were going to be shipped (IIRC) on Sept 19th or something. I also read (and was told by Grizzly tech support) that the new banjos would be "shipped in October". Well, here it is, only two days left in October and no banjos. Almost two months have passed. Grizzly has my money. I don't have my new banjo. They advertised a 22 inch swing that isn't real (yet). But there is no new specific timing information of when we'll receive the new banjos. (Sorry - - I'm a bit frustrated).

I read from Mr. Balolio, that "it takes some time" to fill the pipe line. I don't disagree. But, I would feel better if I had a better understanding of exactly WHEN I will get the new banjo. If I were given a solid date, I would be more patient than being told that it "takes some time".

I have stopped using the factory supplied tool rest. I found that the 30 degree angle of the top of the rest was way too shallow for using a gouge in the shear mode. I modified my tool post (hey - - it's been almost 2 months !!) to lower it about 5/8 inch), but then found that when I tilted my bowl gouge at around 45 degrees, that the gouge was being supported at the edge of the tool rest furthest from the wood. So, the fulcrum was about an inch away from the cut. Too far. Too much overhang. So, I ended up making my own replacement tool rest. I feel that the approach being taken by Grizzly only fixes the reduced swing of their lathe and doesn't address the lack of good tool post design. When I stare at the images of their other lathes, some appear to have a more appropriate angle on their tool post.

I'm sorry if this appears as a rant, but you can probably deduce that I'm getting increasingly frustrated as time goes on....

11. Brice.......it is my personal belief that this type of delay is a common thing with Chinese manufacturing. It does require a bit of patience and overcoming one's frustration. Such is the nature of this global manufacturing, where nearly everything is outsourced. This banjo issue will get sorted out, but that does not mean that your 0766 cannot be used to turn large items. I used the original banjo to turn a 19" bowl on mine, with creative placement and proper sequences of cutting with the gouge.

The rest on the 0766 is patterned after the tried and true Delta rests that have been on lathes for many decades. Some newer designs are better for some cuts as you have stated.

Roger, I appreciate your words of encouragement. I agree that I need to have more patience. [sigh...I'm a type A person...].

On your comment about turning a 19 inch bowl, I am reluctant to try to use a tool rest beyond its normal limits. Let me explain my apprehension - - In June I had a comfort rest (different lathe) and I tried using it too close to its lateral limit of the tool rest rather than relocating it. I got a catch and it violently drove the tool downward. It was too close to the end of the rest and it went over the left edge of the rest. It was propelled down until it hit something. Unfortunately, what it hit was my left index finger. The tip was on the comfort rest. The middle bone was crushed between the tool and the lower edge of the comfort rest. The middle bone of my index finger broke into seven pieces. It was quite a mess. It required surgery, a pair of 2-1/2 inch long pins lengthwise in my finger for a month, and I am still in physical therapy trying to regain a reasonable amount of range-of-motion. So when I hear of people using their tool rest to the far edge of its travel, it makes me cringe. I learned my lesson that it is risky to have my cutter on the last 1/2 inch of the tool rest. Perhaps drilling the rest and putting in a stop-pin at the end would eliminate this risk. But I say that in retrospect (hind-sight).

I'll try to have more patience....

So when I hear of someone using their G0766 tool rest and banjo to the limits of its design, I think that it is something that I would no longer do. Also, I am surprised that Grizzly hasn't issued an advisory of the associated risks. I think that if someone were to be injured using a G0766 tool rest at its limits (like you said that you did without a problem), that Grizzly would have a potential legal liability.

13. Quote Originally Posted by Brice Rogers View Post
    Roger, I appreciate your words of encouragement. I agree that I need to have more patience. [sigh...I'm a type A person...].

On your comment about turning a 19 inch bowl, I am reluctant to try to use a tool rest beyond its normal limits. Let me explain my apprehension - - In June I had a comfort rest (different lathe) and I tried using it too close to its lateral limit of the tool rest rather than relocating it. I got a catch and it violently drove the tool downward. It was too close to the end of the rest and it went over the left edge of the rest. It was propelled down until it hit something. Unfortunately, what it hit was my left index finger. The tip was on the comfort rest. The middle bone was crushed between the tool and the lower edge of the comfort rest. The middle bone of my index finger broke into seven pieces. It was quite a mess. It required surgery, a pair of 2-1/2 inch long pins lengthwise in my finger for a month, and I am still in physical therapy trying to regain a reasonable amount of range-of-motion. So when I hear of people using their tool rest to the far edge of its travel, it makes me cringe. I learned my lesson that it is risky to have my cutter on the last 1/2 inch of the tool rest. Perhaps drilling the rest and putting in a stop-pin at the end would eliminate this risk. But I say that in retrospect (hind-sight).

I'll try to have more patience....

So when I hear of someone using their G0766 tool rest and banjo to the limits of its design, I think that it is something that I would no longer do. Also, I am surprised that Grizzly hasn't issued an advisory of the associated risks. I think that if someone were to be injured using a G0766 tool rest at its limits (like you said that you did without a problem), that Grizzly would have a potential legal liability.
    Brice, I can certainly understand you being a bit gun shy about things after an accident like you had......ouch! Paramount to all things we do should be safety first, period! I remember getting a pretty good catch one time when turning out on the end of my toolrest, and yep......the force snapped the post from the bottom of the rest........that was on my old Craftsman 15" vs lathe. Did the same thing on my G0698 rest! Thankfully, I had another on hand to replace it.

The way I managed that 19" bowl was to not take the cut too far towards the end of the rest, but would stop move the rest and then resume the cut up to what would become the rim area, so it can be done safely, but one does have to understand the process and know the limits, or else can have a mishap.

Good for you thinking critically on how you go about things......lets not re-injure that finger!

BTW......I understand that type A thing......my oldest son says I am so type A, it makes his head hurt! My wife tells me on occasion, that I need to dial it back a bit but it is hard to do when one is wired that way!
    Last edited by Roger Chandler; 10-29-2015 at 12:26 PM.

Hey all, just a quick update. I was finally able to get the electric hooked up after a few delays. First, I just turned a simple carving mallet, making sure everything was working (and sounding) correctly. I am very happy with it thus far, although an upgrade in cutting tools will be a welcome expense, albeit a slow acquisition. Still waiting on my 4 jaw chuck from Grizzly, so its spindle and faceplate for the time being. Here's a 14" x 5.5" Canary wood snare drum I spun last night. Turned out pretty good, but I need to clean it up a little bit before giving it bearing edges and a finish. I love the grain in it, so it'll probably get a few coats of teak oil and then a nice high gloss finish. What do ya think?

canary wood 14 x 5.5.jpg

15. Sean......looks like both you and the Grizz did a fine job! Love the grain in that canary wood. If the whole set you make is of the same type, then that is going to be one looker percussion set! Nice!