Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst 12345

Thread: Nova 1624 vs. Grizzly g0766

Quote Originally Posted by Sean Benz View Post
    Hey all, just a quick update. I was finally able to get the electric hooked up after a few delays. First, I just turned a simple carving mallet, making sure everything was working (and sounding) correctly. I am very happy with it thus far, although an upgrade in cutting tools will be a welcome expense, albeit a slow acquisition. Still waiting on my 4 jaw chuck from Grizzly, so its spindle and faceplate for the time being. Here's a 14" x 5.5" Canary wood snare drum I spun last night. Turned out pretty good, but I need to clean it up a little bit before giving it bearing edges and a finish. I love the grain in it, so it'll probably get a few coats of teak oil and then a nice high gloss finish. What do ya think?

Attachment 324817
    How'd you make that drum? Is it a staved construction, or one piece? Beautiful.
    Maker of Fine Kindling, and small metal chips on the floor.
    Embellishments to the Stars - or wannabees.

Thanks Roger and Mark. I build these as stave style drums. Sometimes mixing species and adding a few accent staves to augment the overall look and sound. I've had my drums played by the drummers from the Oak Ridge Boys, Travis Tritt, Sophistafunk and Fishbone among others, but I'm still a relative new-comer as far as drum manufacturing goes.