Thread: Veritas router plane

Veritas router plane

My router plane arrived yesterday from Lee Valley. I debated between veritas and Lie Nielsen and went with the Veritas. As a newbie woodworker I felt like the fence attachment and excellent depth adjuster was a plus. This router plane really is a quality tool with great features. I have been buying LN saws and I love them but the veritas router plane I felt was better for me. I am looking very seriously at veritas hand planes because of their pricing and quality.

That's good to hear Vinnie. I've no experience of the opposition and hence could be expected to make positive noises - but the several Lee valley/Veritas BU bench and block planes i have have all been effectively perfect in quality terms.

The one feature that's been such a pleasure is the dead nuts absolute flatness and so far as i can tell consistent heat treatment of all of the mixed O1 and A2 irons (similarly of the all of the LV blades on spokeshaves etc that i also have) - the backs polished out on a 1000 grit stone in a few minutes. They also behaved the same on the stones and took a very high edge...
    Last edited by ian maybury; 10-20-2015 at 7:18 PM. Reason: typos

I may just get all Veritas hand planes including their shooting plane

Blog Entries
    The Veritas router plane, in my opinion, is the better buy. Even though in this case it is at a higher starting price.

As far as bench planes are concerned, my advice is to try and use or at least handle any of the different possibilities before purchase. For me, old Stanley/Bailey planes are fine.

Both Lee Valley and Lie Nielsen make high quality products that will retain their value for years to come.

jtk
    "A pessimist sees the difficulty in every opportunity; an optimist sees the opportunity in every difficulty."
    - Sir Winston Churchill (1874-1965)

I have a collection of old pre war Stanley Bailey's. 2 #3's,4,5,6,7. I also have 2 Sargents a smoother and a Jack. 1 Millers falls smoother as well. I'm really in pretty good shape as far as planes. It's just a new quality plane is so nice!

Quote Originally Posted by Vinnie Lopez View Post
    I have a collection of old pre war Stanley Bailey's. 2 #3's,4,5,6,7. I also have 2 Sargents a smoother and a Jack. 1 Millers falls smoother as well. I'm really in pretty good shape as far as planes. It's just a new quality plane is so nice!
    Hi Vinnie -

Thanks for the kind words (and the order!).

Having lots of quality products to choose from is a good thing, and I'd encourage you to always look at all the options - there are a lot of good makers out there!

Cheers -

Rob

The Veritas router plane may be my next purchase.

One of the deal-closers for me is the optional attachment for scribing 2 parallel lines, prior to routing inlay. I've always wanted to get into inlay work, and wouldn't want to use a small router. That scribing dingus looks to be a lovely thing.

LN may be closer to the original Stanley #71, but the LV has made improvements over the original. What, you may say? For one, I just find the handles (angles) more comfortable! Also I like the blade adjustment better.
    If the thunder don't get you, the lightning will.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Tony Zaffuto View Post
    LN may be closer to the original Stanley #71, but the LV has made improvements over the original. What, you may say? For one, I just find the handles (angles) more comfortable! Also I like the blade adjustment better.
    For my take on this one only has to look at the blade selection available. There really isn't any for the LN. LV may have another win in that their blades can be made to work on older router planes.

jtk
    "A pessimist sees the difficulty in every opportunity; an optimist sees the opportunity in every difficulty."

They are definitely taking into account the modernization of their planes as well as keeping old aspects that make their blades useable with older planes. They are on the right track with very well thought out products.

I do buy LN and LV tools. Most often, I purchase the specialty planes (router, plow, shoulder, side rabbet, etc.) for use, first, and a choice hand plane (LA planes) for education, second. By doing this, I have realized what good users my MF, Sargent, and Stanley planes really are. Yes, the LN/LV planes are perfect; but the vintage ones have tuned up well and, for all practical purposes, get me the same results.

OTOH, I've bought grinders and rust removers and all sorts of supplies for cleaning up my vintage planes. Perhaps, the LN/LV purchases are not quite so expensive once I calculate the cost for the tools to fix the vintage planes.

my 2 cents....

Arch

Exactly what I'm thinking. I'm looking at new blades all the abrasive paper I have purchased all my time. Yes after you calculate things the new planes are not that bad

Has there ever been a rounded gouge type blade for a router plane? or are they always flat?

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Trevor Wentzel View Post
    Has there ever been a rounded gouge type blade for a router plane? or are they always flat?
    People have made their own modifications to router blades or made them from allen wrenches.

Mostly it would likely end up being a fancy scratch stock kind of arrangement.

The biggest problem might be with sharpening such a blade.

It is an interesting idea if there is a way to make it work.

I know I would want one.

jtk

Guessing that as soon as any attempt is made to deepen the cut much below the plane of the sole that the tool might (?) become rather tippy unless it was advanced very slowly...