Thread: Shopsmith for Belt/Disc Sanding?

Shopsmith for Belt/Disc Sanding?

I still don't have a 6 x 48 belt sander, so once in a while I look at Craigslist. Today I found something interesting. Some dude is selling a Shopsmith Power Station cheap. It has the belt sanding attachment. Looks like it hasn't been used much. That seems to be the rule with these machines.

Ordinarily, I would not be interested in a Shopsmith, but it's my understanding that the sanding attachment is actually really good, with variable speed. I believe the motor would be 3/4 HP.

Wondering if anyone else here has used one, and whether it's worth trying. The other attachments would be included. I don't expect to use them, but I suppose it's always possible that a use could turn up.

I saw another weird choice. Someone has a Sears-Simpson Craftsman belt/disk sander. It must be 50 years old. Fifty bucks! Doesn't look like the world's greatest tool, but it's kind of neat.
    Cry "Havoc," and let slip the dogs of bench.

I was socially distant before it was cool.

A little authority corrupts a lot.

I have two of them. Use them all the time for various sanding chores.
    If you get it, invest in several different sanding grit belts to match them to what you are sanding. It should have a vacuum hose port on it to hook up the shop vac, mine do. And, it has a 5/8" diameter auxiliary shaft on the drive end for other Shopsmith Accessories. I often have a drum sander mounted there for inside radius work.

I think that the Shop Smith also has horizontal boreing capability.

Greg

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Greg Sznajdruk View Post
    I think that the Shop Smith also has horizontal boreing capability.

Greg

Greg,
    I think he is referring to a Shopsmith Power Station and not a full Shopsmith.
    https://www.shopsmith.com/ownersite/...werstation.htm
    Larry J Browning
    There are 10 kinds of people in this world; Those who understand binary and those who don't.

I started this hobby with the Shopsmith setup. I've moved up to Sawstop/Agazzani/Powermatic, but I still have the Powerstation with the SS 6 x 48 belt sander.
    It works great.
    AKA - "The human termite"

I keep a power station with a 6x48 on it too. The powerstation is also varable speed. I have most evey tool I want and I am sure not giving that 6x48 up.
    Glad its my shop I am responsible for - I only have to make me happy.

It seemed a little weird to me that a company known for making strange tools happened to create a really good belt sander, but it seems like that's the case.
    Cry "Havoc," and let slip the dogs of bench.

I was socially distant before it was cool.

A little authority corrupts a lot.

I've used the SS belt sander for years and it works great. I've used it on a power station and also connected to the SS headstock. Prefer headstock version because it's a little higher and your not stooping over and the power station is a little bit louder and makes strange noises when it runs. But a belt sander connected to a power station is certainly functional and a great tool. I've converted my SS to a dedicated sanding station, switch out belt+drum & strip sander on the left side of the headstock and switch out flat disk & conical disk on the right side of the head stock, then mounted a spindle sander on the extension tables.

+ 1 for Shopsmith as a sander. Belt sander, disk sander and strip sander is great. The Conical Sanding Disc is kinda neat. Have to try it someday. http://www.shopsmith.com/ownersite/c...al_sanding.htm
    The variable speed feature is something woodworkers kinda over look how helpful it is.
    I can shape small parts by hand using the sander without having it ripped out of my hand like standard woodworking sanders.
    Here is a link to doing a tune up on the belt sander. http://www.shopsmithacademy.com/SS_Archives/SS112/SS112_Belt_Sander_Tuneup.htm

Using the strip sander to sharpen tools. http://www.shopsmithacademy.com/SS_Archives/SS110/SS110_Strip_Sander_Sharpening.htm

All made in the USA. Dayton Ohio.
    strip_sander_on_mark7.jpgbeltsander.jpg
    Last edited by Dave Lehnert; 10-23-2015 at 10:25 PM.
    "Remember back in the day, when things were made by hand, and people took pride in their work?"
    - Rick Dale

The Shopsmith can be very useful for sanding. I use mine with a pneumatic drum sander which is 6" x 9" and it works great with the variable speed.