Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: CBN Wheel Shroud

Great idea, Bob. Why didn't I think of that?

I wound up going with the Steel City grinder from Circle Saw. It is a good design, the only grinder I've seen with dust collection. Execution on the other hand, was not so much on the unit I received. I know others have had better luck but the right shroud on this particular one was horribly out of spec. and being a casting it's not possible to bend it back into shape. After some fiddling with some shims, I finally got both wheels to run without interference. Here it is with the Wolverine system ready to go. On a positive note, it does run smooth and true with little vibration.
    20151117_142134.jpg

Extremely fine metal particles in the air

I have an interesting observation. I have some 1/2" cube and 1/2"x1/2" cylinder supermagnets stuck to the frame high on the backside of my bandsaw which is about 10 feet away from the sharpening station. These magnets are so strong I cannot get them apart without prying. The other day I discovered extremely fine iron/steel dust on these magnets - 10 FEET AWAY!

I had read that extremely fine metal dust can float in the air a long ways but this is the first direct evidence I have seen. How much of this am I breathing? I seriously need to connect my sharpeners to my dust collector.

JKJ

Quote Originally Posted by John K Jordan View Post
    I have an interesting observation. I have some 1/2" cube and 1/2"x1/2" cylinder supermagnets stuck to the frame high on the backside of my bandsaw which is about 10 feet away from the sharpening station. These magnets are so strong I cannot get them apart without prying. The other day I discovered extremely fine iron/steel dust on these magnets - 10 FEET AWAY!

I had read that extremely fine metal dust can float in the air a long ways but this is the first direct evidence I have seen. How much of this am I breathing? I seriously need to connect my sharpeners to my dust collector.

JKJ

That is disconcerting for sure. I will be sure to use a shop vac in conjunction with this thing!

Blog Entries

Homemade metal dust capturing shroud

I cut the bottom off of a plastic 5 gal paint bucket. I had some magnetic strips with the tape on the back lying around. I cut the magnets in about three inch lengths and stuck them on the cut off paint bucket bottom in three rows. Then I put clear packing tape over the magnets to keep the dust from going in between and under the magnets and it making it easier to remove the dust. The paint bucket bottoms were then mounted around the wheels like shrouds. It captures about 95% of the metal dust. I use a popsicle stick to remove the dust from the contraption.

IMG_2809.jpgIMG_2810.jpgIMG_2813.jpg

All the Best
    Curt

Quote Originally Posted by Curtis Myers View Post
    I cut the bottom off of a plastic 5 gal paint bucket. I had some magnetic strips with the tape on the back lying around. I cut the magnets in about three inch lengths and stuck them on the cut off paint bucket bottom in three rows. Then I put clear packing tape over the magnets to keep the dust from going in between and under the magnets and it making it easier to remove the dust. The paint bucket bottoms were then mounted around the wheels like shrouds. It captures about 95% of the metal dust. I use a popsicle stick to remove the dust from the contraption.

IMG_2809.jpgIMG_2810.jpgIMG_2813.jpg

All the Best
    Curt

What a great idea Curt! I'm going to copy that for mine. I've been wanting to cover my wheel because knowing me, I'll hit the top of the wheel with my arm as I reach for something behind the grinder when the wheel is spinning down.