Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: new blade for an old woodie?

new blade for an old woodie?

Hey yall, picked up a couple wooden jacks a couple weeks ago for a song. I finally had some shop time and decided to flatten the blades and now I know why I got them so cheap lol. One blade is beyond repair, it is essentially bent it would seem. How this happens, I dont know. I cant remember whats wrong with the other one...

Anyhow, can I get new blades for these guys? If pictures of the planes are needed I can provide some. I saw Lee Valley has free shipping and I think they might have some plane blades that might work. Can anyone steer me in the right direction?

Blog Entries
    Pictures almost always help.

Blade size and whether it is a single or double iron might be of help. You never know who may have what lingering in their junk bin.

If it looks like, or sort of similar to an old Stanley blade, my advice would be to give one a try.

jtk
    "A pessimist sees the difficulty in every opportunity; an optimist sees the opportunity in every difficulty."
    - Sir Winston Churchill (1874-1965)

Quote Originally Posted by Mike Cherry View Post

Anyhow, can I get new blades for these guys? If pictures of the planes are needed I can provide some. I saw Lee Valley has free shipping and I think they might have some plane blades that might work. Can anyone steer me in the right direction?
    If I was looking for a replacement blade for an old woody, I'd contact Josh at hyperkitten.

image.jpgimage.jpgimage.jpg

Heres some photos, sorry they are sideways. The blade measures 2 1/4".

That does not look too bad for a jack plane. Find a spot where chipbreaker does not clog and it should be ok..

Thing is, there is a serious gap on the right corner between the blade and breaker. On the order of about 1/8"

I'll look in the shop tomorrow, but....I THINK I might have a spare iron like that. I can send just the iron, IF it is the correct size you have. PM if you want it......

Edit: Have two. one is 2-3/16" wide, the other is 2-1/8" wide. Both are Ohio Tool Co. irons. The wider one does have it's chipbreaker, as well. Both are tapered irons.
    Last edited by steven c newman; 10-23-2015 at 11:05 PM.

That's mighty kind of you Steven, pm sent.

You didn't take a pic of the actual problem, so I'll take your word for it, but that blade looks fine to me. Better than most, in fact, just needs a good overhaul.

If there's a 1/8" gap under the breaker, I wouldn't even worry about it as the blade itself is beefy enough to not NEED a breaker. If you think it will collect chips or something, just fill it in with JB Weld.

that's a FINE old blade, and probably laminated. (I have three from the same maker, and they are all laminated.) As long as the "business side" (which you didn't show us) isn't pitted, you should put that baby to use.

Late start to today. I boxed up the parts, and ship them out Monday. Sending along the other chipbreaker as well. These are Ohio Tool Co. irons and cb.

Details later...

Thanks Steven, very kind of you. Let me know how I can compensate you buddy.

Allen, I'll take some pics and post them when I get home of the actual blade. Apologies, but as a new-ish woodworker I was under the impression that having a chip breaker mate with the blade was of significant importance. I understand we're talking about a roughing plane and not a smoother. My only experience is with metal planes, and I have experienced clogging in the past with a chip breaker that didn't seat well.

I went to check the breaker and remembered it was the blade that was out of whack.
    Attached Images Attached Images

That's weird, but if the blade's back is flat, I don't think you have a problem. Again, that blade is thick enough to not even need a cap iron / breaker. I'd slather on some JB Weld "just because" and get on with it.

And it does appear to be a laminated blade, though hard to be 100% sure from that pic. (Look from the side, for a light / dark dividing line.) If so it will be easy to sharpen, and likely take a very, VERY sharp edge.

Two irons and their mated chipbreakers left this morning's mail. Dropped off at the Post Office while I was out running errands. Padded envelopes for each set, stuffed then into a small flat rate box.....send Mike the tracking number.

Enjoy.....maybe thursday's mail?

Blog Entries
    Nice old woodie Mike, nice find. I had a Stanley 4 1/2 arrive a few days ago. I was disturbed, at first, to find that the chip breaker was apparently bent. Closer inspection later revealed that it may have been bent on purpose. The metal in many of those old chip beakers wasn't all that hard. After x number of years of hard use they can start to loose the ability to tighten down on the plane blades edge. I have read that it might be necessary to make an adjustment to some of the older chip breakers to regain function they may have lost over years of use/misuse. You might be able to bend that chip breaker back into a more functional shape in a vise, with an anvil....