Thread: Sawing rigid PU & other insulation panels?

Sawing rigid PU & other insulation panels?

Just wondering if the typical polyurethane, polystyrene and extruded polystyrene/styrofoam insulation panels and also PVC cladding/facing can be cut to size on a panel saw. Wondering if they cut cleanly (is melting, crumbling etc an issue on any of these materials?), and does the dust pick up Ok in a dust system and not cause problems with cartridge filters? Damage to or blunting of blades? Stock universal or other?

How thick?

I use either a utility knife or a Spyderco kitchen knife.

http://www.amazon.com/SPYDERCO-Kitch.../dp/B00J2X7F9U
    "Life is what happens to you while you're busy making other plans." - John Lennon

I've ripped 2" foam on a tablesaw, it worked awesome. No negatives that I can remember other than messy. You can chuck it through the blade as fast as you can push it.

I've used my tablesaw, skillsaw and hand saws on foam with great success. Polystyrene tends to have the little expanded beads shed more than foam. You should have no issues with your panelsaw, Definitely no melting.

West Central Alberta, East of the Rockies - West of the Rest
    Same here, on the table saw - if possible with good dust collection makes cutting it a dream.

Thanks very much guys, what i was looking for. The foam will be 50mm, type not quite finalised. (cat houses) I need to make some reabte and mitre cuts. Great to ehar that it doesn't melt on to the blade and that a decent dust system catches the inevitable mess...