Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: Moderators 2

Moderators 2

So the first thread was locked, sanitised and most of the comments deleted - again without explanation.

Is that to be taken as it seems?

Kind of how it goes in here but I get enough good info to put up with.

I think the leash is way too tight, especially lately. I would like there to be some kind of democracy and place to discuss these things, rather than just delete them.

I understand when things get out of hand though, and it helps to tread lightly and not stir the pot, but civil discussion should be tolerated.

This thread will be gone in the next 10 minutes.

I do not want to be a moderator as it is a tough job. Normally, the mods go out of their way to take care of issues. Recently, they went a long ways to explain things in several lengthy posts.

My suggestion, send a pm to the moderators and ask for some information on the post. I hope you did that before starting this thread.

Blog Entries
    Guys, this site is not a democracy. It is privately owned. The owner has final say on everything. Some members choose to contribute toward the costs to operate the site and they are granted contributor privileges that open up a couple of boards for them and allow them to turn off the ads. The site is also supported by advertisers. There are terms of service (TOS) and all users must abide by them. There is a link for the TOS at the bottom of each page. Certain topics are strictly forbidden (religion and politics) and others though not forbidden have a bad reputation for spiraling out of control quickly and usually get shut down or moved when they do. Moderators are all volunteers. Moderators do not have to offer explanations though some do when posts are edited, moved, locked, deleted etc. I suggest if you want to know why one of your posts was edited you contact the moderator(s) via PM and I'm sure most will respond. Moderators for particular boards are listed near the bottom of most board front pages, though any moderator can edit any board, if necessary.
    Lee Schierer
    USNA '71
    Go Navy!

My advice, comments and suggestions are free, but it costs money to run the site. If you found something of value here please give a little something back by becoming a contributor! Please Contribute

You are not wrong. A lot of good people have left this place because of the often arbitrary and capricious way the mods operate here. I have asked for explanations and been ignored, and have been promised all kinds of things by mods (and Keith) in the way of explanations and have not received anything. I have essentially left, (truly, not much of a loss, of course, as i have been told) as have a lot of very talented and generous people. The place has lost a lot of good, talented folk as a result of this, and no one seems willing to even admit it is even a problem.

it is not a democracy, true. I have argued that myself several times. But it is a community. And communities will not survive this kind of nonsense.
    Last edited by paul cottingham; 10-25-2015 at 9:53 PM.
    Paul

and I thought it was just my posts........I wonder if we are a majority or just the 1%

For the most part, 99% of the work done by moderators is appreciated and accepted. We do things to try and keep the place organized and tidy. Do we make mistakes? Sure. I don't think someone moving your post to a different section qualifies as heavy handed moderation and censorship.

You can't make everyone happy, all the time, it's just not possible, but again, 99% of what we do daily isn't ever mentioned and seldom appreciated publicly.
    Lasers : Trotec Speedy 300 75W, Trotec Speedy 300 80W, Galvo Fiber Laser 20W
    Printers : Mimaki UJF-6042 UV Flatbed Printer , HP Designjet L26500 61" Wide Format Latex Printer, Summa S140-T 48" Vinyl Plotter
    Router : ShopBot 48" x 96" CNC Router Rotary Engravers : (2) Xenetech XOT 16 x 25 Rotary Engravers

Real name Steve but that name was taken on the forum. Used Middle name. Call me Steve or Scott, doesn't matter.

I can't say whether the editing and deletion has been increasing lately, but I agree that the reactions to it have DEFINITELY increased. I'm not trying to pass judgement - just making an observation.

Speaking personally, I've always found the Mods here to be reasonable. The one and only time I had real beef with how a Mod edited my thread, I sent him a polite note expressing my concern and he graciously corrected it immediately.

These folks work for free and it seems to be a thankless job. I can live with an occaisional edit or deletion. (YMMV of course.)

Respectfully,
    Fred

Ian - I am a moderator for the Turning Forum and have to admit - I have no idea which thread you are talking about - but also understand that if one of my fellow moderators edited a thread - there was a valid reason. Lee brings up a very good point - for everyone reading this - if you have a question about a thread, PM the moderator assigned to that forum. If for some reason you do not get a response, then PM me and I'll do what I can to find out what is going on. You may not agree with my answer but I will tell you the truth.

For everyone else - what is it with all this piling on when it comes to moderators performing their duties? You know the TOS and we have all volunteered to help keep the site running with minimal disruption due to spammers, irate rants and anything else that disturbs the community. I would think that everyone - especially Contributors - would appreciate the efforts that we go through behind the scenes to minimize conflicts. I have to admit, I am a little taken aback when I continually see this 'us vs them' mentality when it comes to keeping this site user friendly.

Moderators are not here to make your life harder - we are here to simple enforce the rules - the very rules everyone here agreed to when joining the site.
    Steve

“You never know what you got til it's gone!”
    Please don’t let that happen!
    Become a financial Contributor today!

must be that we are getting ready for elections and we are getting all these telephone calls that they say are surveys but it would be nice to contribute but also answer on a scale of 10 of which 1 is strongly agree.......and the cruise lines with a free trip.......but when we actually post something we are interested in saying its deleted......annoying the first time, 2nd time....grrrrr.......3rd time I pm you Steve......finally decide that its must be "Jack" fault and go get the fly swatter and go outside looking for some stink bugs.......I have been hell on these stink bugs........anybody found any use in those stink ???????????bugs

Charlie, how you would propose handling it when someone posts something that's not allowed, then 10 people comment on that thread? Should we delete the thread, them PM every single person that posted on it and tell them we're sorry, but their posts we deleted from a thread that wasn't supposed to be there in the first place?

I can tell you from a moderator standpoint, the last month has been dead quiet. I haven't heard or seen any moderators having any issues. Now it's resurfaced like there is a major problem going on.

In the TOS, again, which everyone can see and has agreed to, it says clearly that moderation can and will be done to comply with the TOS and you may or may not be notified.

Just for reference, we had a new person posting questions in the tech support area instead of the forum it should have been in. I moved it, sent a PM telling him I moved it and why. A few days later, he posts another general question, again, in Tech Support, I moved it, PM him and tell him why, and where he should post. I explain he's posting in the tech support for the forum area. A couple more days go by, he posts in the Tech Support forum. I moved it and didn't PM him. I don't consider that out of line.
    Printers : Mimaki UJF-6042 UV Flatbed Printer , HP Designjet L26500 61" Wide Format Latex Printer, Summa S140-T 48" Vinyl Plotter
    Router : ShopBot 48" x 96" CNC Router Rotary Engravers : (2) Xenetech XOT 16 x 25 Rotary Engravers

Real name Steve but that name was taken on the forum. Used Middle name. Call me Steve or Scott, doesn't matter.

I guess i find it amusing, a off topic thread I contributed too (simple physics question) was ended by a mod for reasons I am at a loss to understand.
    What amusing is that - the thread even tho closed still shows in the list of "hottest threads" a week or two later.....
    The "best threads" with the most contributors even tho locked are still attracting the most views etc to remain for weeks in the "hottest threads" collections?.
    Just me I guess - I find it kinda ironic.
    If the site runs ads that help fund it and get paid on click thru's etc - locking your hottest threads arbitrarily would seem counter intuitive in that it cuts off your best revenue raisers?.
    That said - I had nothing left to contribute to it anyway so it's no biggee to me - just that I find it amusing / ironic and unexplained at to why closed is all.
    Maybe the electrons were too expensive for that thread.

new person posting questions in the tech support area instead of the forum it should have been in. I moved it, sent a PM telling him I moved it and why

a new person most likely has not found the pm feature yet.....probably thinks any question should go to tech support.......

posts something that's not allowed, then 10 people comment on that thread
    offer them a free fly swatter (stink bug swatter) but ask for shipping cost reburshment.......10 people commented on it before yall deleted it.....sounds like this bunch sits in the back of the sunday school classroom

Quote Originally Posted by charlie knighton View Post
    .......10 people commented on it before yall deleted it.....sounds like this bunch sits in the back of the sunday school classroom
    Surely that can't be the case, because we are accused of sitting in waiting to delete important, on point topics all the time

Ian, what you didn't see were the repeated replies that caused it to get locked. Just because you didn't see the reasons it got deleted doesn't mean they didn't happen.