Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Fast action hold down

Quote Originally Posted by Rob Luter View Post
    I have a thick (4") benchtop too, and initially I had holdfast issues. I just hit the shafts with some sandpaper and problem solved.
    Yes, I did the sanding thing, too (around the shaft, not along it), but that didn't fix the problem until I counterbored from beneath. I'm surprised yours are holding in a 4" top. Are these standard 3/4" dog holes?

Quote Originally Posted by Phil Stone View Post
    Yes, I did the sanding thing, too (around the shaft, not along it), but that didn't fix the problem until I counterbored from beneath. I'm surprised yours are holding in a 4" top. Are these standard 3/4" dog holes?
    I used a 3/4 auger bit for the holes. They're pretty close to size. The LV brass bench dogs fit in them perfect, and the holdfasts do as well. I will say that some of the holes require an extra whack on the holdfast with the mallet, but not often.

Edit - I was down shoveling out my shop in preparation for woodworking season and put a tape on my bench. It's really 3 1/2 inches thick. I feel like a dope.
    Last edited by Rob Luter; 11-22-2015 at 3:39 PM.
    Sharp solves all manner of problems.

I compared the screw down and the quick release one at the first Handworks. The quick release could slip under some circumstances. The screw down seemed more solid.

Cliff
    The problem with the world is that intelligent people are full of doubts, while the stupid ones are full of confidence.
    Charles Bukowski