Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Wasted Wall Space in Small Workshop

Wasted Wall Space in Small Workshop

I have a 12x24 hip style roof workshop with some 33 degree ceilings I'd like to use (see pictures). I can't figure out how to use this space, which I desperately need to use. If you had this space, what would you do with it?

I think I'd need to custom make some brackets that would be 33 degrees at the wall and 90 degrees out from the wall to put shelving up. I was thinking of 1/4" polycarbonate or glass shelfs so I could see what was up there?

Edit: Walls and Ceilings are 3/4" Plywood.

IMG_0338.jpgIMG_0339.jpgIMG_0340.jpg
    Last edited by Kent Adams; 10-26-2015 at 1:31 PM.

I would make a simple cabinet, not brackets............Rod.

Kent, how about eyehooks, screwed through the drywall into the rafters, with jack chain or something similar hanging from them -- the 'front' shelf support. Then a 2x4 ripped to the angle and screwed through the drywall to the rafters, forming a continuous ledger on the 'back' side of the shelf. If the front of the shelf had a vertical edge on it -- say a 1x4 screwed to the front of the shelf, you could take advantage of the chain and install the shelf on a slightly downward angle, making viewing and removal of contents a little easier. and the chain hangers would make it easier to dump the sawdust off the shelves every now and then.
    Don't let it bring you down,
    It's only castles burning,
    Just find someone who's turning,
    And you will come around

Neil Young (with a little bit of emphasis added by me)

Board member, Gulf Coast Woodturners Association

My first thought would be any type of lock-and-stay rack. Such as a hand plane rack that holds by the front and the back edges, or to hold a framing square, saw fence or miter gauge. It could be a good place to hang a sand paper organizer. I can envision lots of good uses for that space.

I can envision lots of good use for that space too, I'm just unsure how to use it at the moment because of the 33 degree angle.

Easy solution.

A couple dormers

Clamp racks

How about clamp racks? These are on a horizontal ceiling but the idea is the same. I use two PVC pipe clips per clamp to hold them up.

IMG_0571.JPG

Quote Originally Posted by John Lanciani View Post
    How about clamp racks? These are on a horizontal ceiling but the idea is the same. I use two PVC pipe clips per clamp to hold them up.

IMG_0571.JPG
    That's exactly the type of rack and mounting method I'm thinking of.

Blog Entries
    I also see clamp racks:

Clamp Rack Hip Roof.jpg

My quicky vertical ones that never got re-built/refined :

Long Clamp Racks 002.jpg . Long Clamp Racks 001.jpg

Similar concept, different angles.

I have an overflow lumber area that hold project material selected out of the main racks that uses a similar concept:

re-leveled-woodrack-overflo.jpg
    Last edited by glenn bradley; 10-27-2015 at 8:41 AM.
    "A hen is only an egg's way of making another egg".

– Samuel Butler

I actually like that idea of using some of the space for clamps. I could also use a rack like that for my tracks. Thanks.

Glenn, I was thinking of attaching the racks to a board and then attaching the board to french cleats. Do you think the cleats would hold at that angle with the weight of the clamps, or would you suggest a different angle for the cleats other than 45 degrees? I'd create a top and bottom cleat.

Because of the angle, the sloped areas of the ceiling don't look very useful to me, but I hang all of my smaller jigs from hooks in the flat ceiling of my shop. It looks like you have plenty of room for jigs up there in the flat area. The idea of heavy clamps up above my head scares me. I wouldn't want one of my clamps (they're heavy) falling on me, even while trying to get one up or down. Maybe the sloped ceiling areas could be dedicated to clamp storage. My bar and pipe clamp storage is on one wall, but they are stacked outward from the wall, one slot for each clamp size. I made diagonal braced L brackets from 2 X 4 and 2 X 6 stock (depends on clamp head size) and spaced them so a clamp will fit between them. I can get 10 bar or pipe clamps in each slot, with different lengths each in their own slots. A 4' wide space holds about 60 bar and pipe clamps (needs a good strong wall).

Charley
    Last edited by Charles Lent; 10-29-2015 at 1:22 PM.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Kent Adams View Post
    Glenn, I was thinking of attaching the racks to a board and then attaching the board to french cleats. Do you think the cleats would hold at that angle with the weight of the clamps, or would you suggest a different angle for the cleats other than 45 degrees? I'd create a top and bottom cleat.
    Given the angle I would be tempted to screw through to the studs ;-)

Glenn, the walls are all 3/4 plywood. I'm thinking the angle may present a problem with french cleats holding, but I'm not sure.

Update

Thanks for everyone's suggestions. Several people suggested clamp racks and I built a few. Glenn was helpful with a clever idea on using dowels to hold together the racks. I didn't have any dowels so I used some dominos. The racks were cut on a 60 degree angle.

I'm glad that when my shop was being built, I made my walls out of 3/4 plywood. Whenever I need to attach something, I don't need to look for studs.

Material: 3/4 Baltic Birch
    Tools: Table Saw, 1/2 forstner, bevel gauge, drill press, Festool domino, miter gauge
    Finish: Wipe on Poly
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by Kent Adams; 12-12-2015 at 9:48 PM.