Thread: Update to scroll saw selection

Update to scroll saw selection

I found this Hegner on Craigslist. It's 15 years old, been in storage for a few years and he's asking $375. He has to go to the storage place to get it tomorrow but he couldn't remember the model. I've attached a photo for the Hegner users who may help to identify the unit. I went to the Hegner web site but they all look the same to me.

I haven't seen it yet, but he says it's in good condition and been lightly used (hobby).

Do you guys think that's too much money for a 15 year old machine?

hegner.jpg

I have a Hegner Multimax 18-V and this picture looks like mine. The black know below the table on the left is for adjusting the table tilt and the smaller knob below it looks like the variable speed control knob. I bought mine used for about the same money -- offer $350 and be sure it has the blade clamps and key to remove them from the saw. Mine also had a foot switch which is a nice addition.

The only thing I will add is to make sure it is a True Hegner saw.
    I know there is a saw or two out their that looks like a Hegner but not.
    Wish I had more info. Just remember reading about it some time ago.

Is that a photo the seller sent you? Looks to be a photo off the web.
    "Remember back in the day, when things were made by hand, and people took pride in their work?"
    - Rick Dale

Sure looks like a Hegner. If I was close I would buy it. I have one a few years older and it runs perfectly.

Look at it and check the tag with date info...if all is good buy it quickly!!!!

I would buy it. Over three years ago I paid $600 for a 1986 single speed Hegner and it still runs great. I can still get parts for it also.
    No PHD, but I have a DD 214

Two important things in an otherwise quality name scroll saw are:

1. Ease of blade changes. Ideally tool-less. And uses pinless blades.
    2. Variable speed through a knob - not through changes in belt position on pulleys.

This is assuming everything else is in good shape and that the throat distance is what you want. And it's a quality name-brand saw.

Mike
    Go into the world and do well. But more importantly, go into the world and do good.

That is one heck of a deal.....

Robert