Thread: Etagere with doweled-on feet

Etagere with doweled-on feet

I plan to build a run of five etageres (open-shelf units atop a small case) and the source of good cherry is causing a design burp.

Really wanting the heights of these at about 6'4 and not 6'1 (height matters, inches matter) I think I may dowel feet onto the bottoms of the columns, and not really using dowels, but 10mm x 50mm dominos.

See the pics, attached. The units will be all cherry, but while I could do the feet in same, I was thinking of doing the feet in something else, maybe claro walnut. Or wenge. Or whatever.

Other than what can happen during moving and storage, there is little stress on these legs.
    Attached Images Attached Images

I'm Scottish (capital 'cheap'), so one thing that you might consider - - using a highly figured wood for the relatively small exposed surface area might be a bit of a waste. The figure will get 'lost'.

FWIW I'd save a buck three ninety seven and just use b.walnut (contrast), or cherry (blend in).

As for structural concerns even at 100lbs/leg of download, I'd figure no more than 20lbs of side load to drag it across the floor. Just a SWAG at your leg height, but figure 40lb-ft of torque?? I'm pretty sure even 1ea. 1/2" dowels would resist such. Domino should be more than adequate.

I like the proportions; your dwg makes it look very mid-century modern.
    Last edited by Malcolm McLeod; 10-26-2015 at 7:58 PM.

If you want the feet to contrast I think they need to be connected by a base or at least a moulding of the same color. Or you could put a Hepplewhite contrasting inlay band at the feet bottoms with most of the "footage" same color as the rest of the piece.

Blog Entries
    I would make the feet an extension of the stiles. Doweled or dominoed (is that even a word) feet would be a weak point in the design.
    Lee Schierer
    USNA '71
    Go Navy!

My advice, comments and suggestions are free, but it costs money to run the site. If you found something of value here please give a little something back by becoming a contributor! Please Contribute