Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Rasps - Help Required

Rasps - Help Required

Hi!

I have a Nicholson 6" Knife Bastard File. I guess I got mixed up with the terminology and thought "bastard" meant really rough cut but this is a really fine (at least to me anyway) cut tool. I remember my Dad's rasps (really big S.O.Bs. that I guess they don't make anymore, at least not that I can find) and he always told me that "bastard" was the roughest cut, which is what I want.

Do they have a Pattern Makers Cabinet Rasp that is the same shape as this "knife file"?

I searched with google but am not having any luck.

Also, anyone know where I can get the really big wood rasps on-line?

I remember my dad had some that were probably 18" long, 2 to 3" wide and could take your hand off if you weren't careful. Like I said above, I am not sure they even make them anymore.

Thanks,

James

I don't know that much about shaping wood as I'm in the middle of my first project requiring such.

I used Microplane brand rasps for heavy stock removal followed by regular mill files and then sandpaper abrasives. Quick working and inexpensive. For traditionally designed rasps, I keep hearing Aurio (sp?) makes the best. Joel sells them as well as Japanwoodworker.com and I'm sure there must be other retailers.
    Tim

on the neverending quest for wood.....

I have severa that used to belong to my Dad but I'm not going to part with them...
    I goggled Woodworkers rasps and found a whole lot of them. Here is a link to get ya started.

http://www.tools-plus.com/merbcom08.html

Thanks!

About the "knife" one. Do they make a wood knife rasp?

James

I have a Nicolson 49 and a 50 they are bigger..
    "All great work starts with love .... then it is no longer work"

6. Look in the yellow pages under farrier suppliers. Most of the really big rasps one would see around are still available there. I've got several. That's where I use to pick them up.

18" long and a couple inches wide. Very coarse. When new, wear gloves or wrap the end with tape (I always use cloth-backed tape).

For cabinet work, the Nicholson's mentioned (#49/50) are good (got a bunch). The Aurious are hard to beat for both how much they can take off and the finish they leave behind.

Mike
    (the one with a rasp problem <g>)

Thanks!

You brought back a memory too. My Dad used to wrap the end of the rasp with masking tape. Masking tape to him was like duct tape to Red Green. Used it for everything. LOL!

James

Quote Originally Posted by Mark Singer
    I have a Nicolson 49 and a 50 they are bigger..
    Jamestown Distributors occasionally has Nicholson #49 & #50 rasps on sale for less than $30 ea. These are nice rasps and cut stock very fast.
    Michael in San Jose
    Non confundar in aeternam

Auriou has a large selection of rasps, from small fine model makers rasps right up to some that remove wood at a scary rate.On the less agressive ones the finish is beautiful. I've been using them for a little over a year now. Before I was using Nicholson 49's and 50's. I thought they were great until I tried the Aurious.

The drawback to them is the price, but you get what you pay for. I have 7 Aurious and don't regret a penny spent. Just think of the difference between a box store smoothing plane and a Veritas or Lie-Nielsen. I would suggest that you talk to Joel about what you want to do with a rasp and he'll suggest which ones you need.

Brent

Will check out the Auriou ones.

Have a link for Joel?

Thanks,

James

Regardless of where you go with rasps, for a very low cost, you can get rasps "sharpened" by Boggs Tool Service. I sent a farrier's rasp, a cabinetmaker's rasp, my #49, and a number of others, and the improvement is significant.

One other suggestion: get one of the new file handles Lee Valley is selling. It clamps over the end of files and rasps and permits a safe two-handed hold. I've used mine a few times and it really adds to the control you achieve.

I also use microplanes, and the cut is somewhat different. The very small (3/8"??) seems too flimsy to be of much use, but the larger sizes really grow on you.

Tony Z.

In addition to the Nicholson and Auriou rasps mentioned above, I've grown quite fond of this little Japanese
    Shinto rasp .

Pam

Thanks Everyone! Much appreciated!

I also found an Italian Knife Rasp at an on-line Canadian retailer in Edmonton called Bedrock Supply. Looks like just the thing for fret work.

James

Shinto Rasp

Pam,

When would you use the shinto rasp in favor of of another such as a #49 or #50?

Thanks, Charlie