Thread: Free 3D Modeling s/w

Free 3D Modeling s/w

Does anyone know of a basic (read cheep or free) 3D modeling s/w package I can import a coral file into so I can see what a box I have designed looks like prior to cutting?

Cheers
    Speedy 300 80W
    CorelDRAW x7

Most 3D modeling SW is not CD-friendly, certainly none of the cheaper ones.
    I've used EZMetrics (http://www.unleash.com/ezmetrics/) to make pseudo-3D drawings of assemblies...not free but reasonable.
    Yoga class makes me feel like a total stud, mostly because I'm about as flexible as a 2x4.
    "Design"? Possibly. "Intelligent"? Sure doesn't look like it from this angle.
    We used to be hunter gatherers. Now we're shopper borrowers.
    The three most important words in the English language: "Front Towards Enemy".
    The world makes a lot more sense when you remember that Butthead was the smart one.
    You can never be too rich, too thin, or have too much ammo.

I've been told Blender works OK. But like Lee said, it may not be Corel friendly
    ULS 50 Watt
    Sublimation
    Sandblasting
    Diamond Drag/Rotary Engraver

Quote Originally Posted by Graham Taylor View Post
    Does anyone know of a basic (read cheep or free) 3D modeling s/w package I can import a coral file into so I can see what a box I have designed looks like prior to cutting?
    Cheers
    Most 3D modeling programs require a STL or SVG file, FreeCAD can take those. I don't think Corel can Export STL, maybe SVG scalable vector graphics.
    Retired Guy- Central Iowa.HVAC/R , Cloudray Galvo Fiber , -Windows 10

Blog Entries
    CorelDraw is a vector-based file type, but you're looking for a true 3D file format (the earlier suggestion for Blender is a good one). The two file types are not comparable, so you'll essentially be starting over. If you want to turn flat layouts into 3D models, I would suggest something designed specifically for that, such as AutoCAD 3D plug-ins for packaging design. Blender itself is meant more for "organic" 3D design, so still not likely what you truly want, but at least it's 3D... I do not know if they have a package design plug-in for it, though.
    Hi-Tec Designs, LLC -- Owner (and self-proclaimed LED guru )

Trotec 80W Speedy 300 laser w/everything
    CAMaster Stinger CNC (25" x 36" x 5")
    USCutter 24" LaserPoint Vinyl Cutter
    Jet JWBS-18QT-3 18", 3HP bandsaw
    Robust Beauty 25"x52" wood lathe w/everything
    Jet BD-920W 9"x20" metal lathe
    Delta 18-900L 18" drill press

Flame Polisher (ooooh, FIRE!)
    Freeware: InkScape, Paint.NET, DoubleCAD XT
    Paidware: Wacom Intuos4 (Large), CorelDRAW X5

Quote Originally Posted by Bill George View Post
    Most 3D modeling programs require a STL or SVG file, FreeCAD can take those. I don't think Corel can Export STL, maybe SVG scalable vector graphics.
    X7 seems to export SVG ok...I recall having odd issues with X4.
    Yoga class makes me feel like a total stud, mostly because I'm about as flexible as a 2x4.
    "Design"? Possibly. "Intelligent"? Sure doesn't look like it from this angle.
    We used to be hunter gatherers. Now we're shopper borrowers.
    The three most important words in the English language: "Front Towards Enemy".
    The world makes a lot more sense when you remember that Butthead was the smart one.
    You can never be too rich, too thin, or have too much ammo.

You can look into Onshape, which is free, browser-based, full featured CAD. If you export from Corel as DXF you will be able to import it into just about any 3D modeling or CAD program.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XWLQ5EMPRZo

Quote Originally Posted by Ian Johnson View Post
    You can look into Onshape, which is free, browser-based, full featured CAD. If you export from Corel as DXF you will be able to import it into just about any 3D modeling or CAD program.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XWLQ5EMPRZo
    That's kind of what I do, either create in Corel or AutoCAD LT 2008 and export as DXF and take into FreeCAD convert to SVG and then take into AutoCAD 123D Design and extrude into a 3D part. Now with Fusion 360 I can just Import a DXF and do the conversion and the rest in it.
    Retired Guy- Central Iowa.HVAC/R , Cloudray Galvo Fiber , -Windows 10

Quote Originally Posted by Bill George View Post
    That's kind of what I do, either create in Corel or AutoCAD LT 2008 and export as DXF and take into FreeCAD convert to SVG and then take into AutoCAD 123D Design and extrude into a 3D part. Now with Fusion 360 I can just Import a DXF and do the conversion and the rest in it.
    I generally do the opposite- draw and extrude the shapes in CAD, with a lot of drawing done in relation to other parts that have been positioned in 3D. Once the design is done, I pull clean DXFs from the faces of each part for layout in Corel. If I try to design in 2D and keep track of 3D relationships in my head, I will always miss some spot where two parts try to occupy the same space.

Thanks for the help, I will check out the ideas mentioned when I have time later.
    Speedy 300 80W
    CorelDRAW x7