Thread: Wooden Radiator Cover Plans

Wooden Radiator Cover Plans

I am building the first of many radiator covers to replace the metal ones in my house. I am building it out of poplar and will be painting it white to match the trim. I am torn between two possible ways I can see to make the radiator itself accessible for cleaning etc. First is to assemble the 2 sides and front and simple slide the cover into place and have the baseboard butt up to the cover with enough room to slide the cover in and out but I am worried kids will be tempted to play with the cover and get to the radiator. Second way is to permanetly attach the two sides of the cover to the frame work around the radiator then attach the front to the sides with the use of hinges and ultimately have a latch to secure the front. Then when needed the front can be swung open to access the radiator and I beleive this way I will be able to hide the latch inside where it will be harder for a kid to access. Feel free to critise my plans and provide any suggestions about the two ways to secure the cover. I am a young homeowner that has tons to learn about woodworking and am very open to getting suggestions from people with more experience then me.

Original Cover

Old cover removed and lumber attached to secure metal ducting around radiator

Plans for new cover

Blog Entries
    What about insetting your panel behind a face frame and attach the panel to the back of the face frame with bed brackets like these.
    panel.PNG
    When cleaning is needed, you would lift up the panel to disengage the brackets, push it back into the opening slightly and then tilt it to slide it out.
    Lee Schierer
    USNA '71
    Go Navy!

My advice, comments and suggestions are free, but it costs money to run the site. If you found something of value here please give a little something back by becoming a contributor! Please Contribute