Thread: Desktop Pen Display Box with Inlay Build Pics- Part 2

Blog Entries

Desktop Pen Display Box with Inlay Build Pics- Part 2

This is part two of a previous post that is probably a few pages back. Despite expert coaching from Brian H., I have no idea how to make the pictures appear larger without clicking on them. Because the work is pretty small, you may have to click on them to see.

After the initial string inlay was completed framing the carcass sides, I decided to add my Mom’s initials. Again, this would’ve been a lot easier to do before assembly (note to self, next time have a plan). Fortunately all her initials are straight lines – I cut the recesses with an Exacto knife and the tiny little chisel that is part of Lee Valley stringing kit. The Holly inlay are straight-line segments cut to fit. In my previous line and berry attempts, I didn't have any Holly andJust glued a couple sheets of dyed white veneer together to make the inlay material.Actual Holly is way better. One of the most difficult things for me was to try and thickness the Holly inlay to the width of the inlay groove. I believe LN and LV sell tools to do this. I am too cheap to buy them. I tried pulling the inlay material through the throat of the bench plane to get it to the appropriate thickness -that didn't work at all. I ended up just sanding it against the bench – not very much fun.
    1.jpg

I’m not sure what you call these little decorative inlay elements in the corner. As mentioned previously, I should have cut these recesses before doing the outline inlay, that would’ve let me put the pivot point of the inlay cutter (kind of like a compass) in the outline groove that would be covered up with inlay. Because that wasn’t feasible and because the bracket feet prevented the inlay cutter from pivoting through the full ark to cut the recess, I just cut them freehand with an Exacto knife, which perhaps sounds harder than it really is.
    3.jpg 4.jpg

Normally these corner inlay elements are used in a frame that is closer to a square, which gives enough room to expand the end of the arc so that when the dowels are added to create little “berries” there is enough separation to make them look reasonable. Because of my condensed dimensions, the berries are too crowded, but at this point I was just trying to “get her done”.

Heart inlay – image from the Internet. Cut the heart first and then traced rounded for the recess. A Dremel tool with a tiny router caller and flat and bit his super helpful for getting a uniform depth.
    5.jpg 7.jpg2.jpg8.jpg9.jpg

In total, inlay probably took me the equivalent of two full days I didn’t really enjoy; tough on my eyes and arthritic fingers.

Blog Entries
    Here is the plywood bottom, nailed into drawer spacers and notched to fit flush up against the tiny quarter around molding that forms the bottom of the drawer opening.
    10.jpg11.5.jpg

Here’s a few pictures after the first code of oil/varnish mix. I scraped the inlay level because I was afraid if I sanded the dark walnut dust would discolor the Holly inlay. When applying the oil/varnish, I use some 600 grit sandpaper and there was no problem with discoloration.

Here’s the good side:
    11.jpg

Here’s the back of my Mom’s initials:
    12.jpg

Here’s the “bad side” where I cleverly inlayed the heart upside down – arggggh, I hate when that happens!
    13.jpg

I initially cut the groups to hold the pens in a tray with a half round router bit. However a test fit with the top revealed the outside grooves (under the frame of the top) were too shallow so I had to deepen them with gouges. Ultimately I ended up deepening the pen s grooves with gouges. You can’t tell from this initial picture, but I was able to get the grooves fairly straight/ uniform with the gouges and a little scraping with round card scrapers

.14.jpg

Here are some pictures after the first coat of shellac. In recent projects I’ve used dyes/stains to try and change the natural color of the wood I was working with which didn’t work out well. Henceforth and forever more, I’m sticking with the finish that works for me; oil/varnish blend followed by shellac and a little paste wax when dry.

15.jpg16.jpg

Blog Entries
    You can’t really see in these pictures, but the Claro walnut has a really cool ribbon figure.
    17.jpg

The drawer is really small, I think height is about 1 ¾” and I decided to go with overlapping drawer front, which hides a multitude of sins. Here is cutting the side rabbits for the overlap and a test fit.
    18.jpg19.jpg
    Drawer bottom is book matched and I think looks really cool. Also a picture of the completed drawer. Because it was so narrow I used drawer slips, rather than plowing a groove on the inside of the drawer to hold the bottom.
    20.jpg21.jpg

My favorite part! Here’s some pictures with the first few coats of shellac applied:
    22.jpg23.jpg24.jpg

Blog Entries
    25.jpg

Finally, the finished drawer with the oil varnish applied.
    26.jpg

The only thing left is to apply shellac to the drawer and add the hinges/pull hardware. I don’t want to sound like a jerk, but I’m really pleased with how this has turned out.

My Mom and I haven’t always gotten along. She was definitely not keen on me going into the Navy when I was young especially given my chosen MOS: “isn’t there a lot less chance of people shooting at you if you stay in the fleet?” I’m kinda of hoping she’ll accept this as "actions speak louder than words" and maybe I’ll get a pass for my youthful sins.

Okay, I just realized that is way too much information but I'm too lazy to change it – my bad!

Thanks looking, Mike

Blog Entries
    Looking good Mike.

Okay, I just realized that is way too much information but I'm too lazy to change it – my bad!
    Not bad to me. It is how we learn about each other.

Besides, I kind of know how your mom may feel. My son is overseas in the military. The military would not be my choice, but then he isn't me. At least he will be stationed in the States by the end of this year. His mother and I are very happy he will no longer be in Korea.

jtk
    "A pessimist sees the difficulty in every opportunity; an optimist sees the opportunity in every difficulty."
    - Sir Winston Churchill (1874-1965)

Hey Mike, everything looks great. I think your thoughts that you included about your past with your mother was fitting. I think that many of us handtool woodworkers have a deep connection with our tools and our projects because each little detail matters. I want everything I make to have meaning. I built a bookshelf for my daughter, I think I might have shown you a pic or two while at your shop, but what I didn't show you....

http://i249.photobucket.com/albums/g...478/image.jpeg

The errors I made and the things I did right made that bookshelf what it is. I think we can all relate this to our lives in some way.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Mike Allen1010 View Post
    I’m not sure what you call these little decorative inlay elements in the corner.
    3.jpg 4.jpg
    Ichthus (or Ichthys).
    Hi-Tec Designs, LLC -- Owner (and self-proclaimed LED guru )

Trotec 80W Speedy 300 laser w/everything
    CAMaster Stinger CNC (25" x 36" x 5")
    USCutter 24" LaserPoint Vinyl Cutter
    Jet JWBS-18QT-3 18", 3HP bandsaw
    Robust Beauty 25"x52" wood lathe w/everything
    Jet BD-920W 9"x20" metal lathe
    Delta 18-900L 18" drill press

Flame Polisher (ooooh, FIRE!)
    Freeware: InkScape, Paint.NET, DoubleCAD XT
    Paidware: Wacom Intuos4 (Large), CorelDRAW X5

Blog Entries

Pen case finished

Mike, thanks for sharing the pictures of the bookshelf you made for your daughter – I'm sure she will Treasure it!

Dan, thanks for Letting me a know the name of those decorative inlay elements is Ichthus - I'll have to work hard to work that into cocktail conversation.

Here are some pictures of the finished display case. Finish is oil/Varnish blend (Watco natural), blonde shellac and dark paste wax. I was pleased to learn the dark paste wax, recommended by Mike Henderson, does not change the color of the Holly inlay.
    4.jpg5.jpg7.jpg2 (2).jpg1.jpg3.jpg6.jpg8.jpg

Derek, still working on getting a picture with the pens.

Thanks for looking, Mike

Superb! You must be pleased.

c
    "You can observe a lot just by watching."
    --Yogi Berra

Blog Entries
    Very nice gift for you mother.

jtk
    "A pessimist sees the difficulty in every opportunity; an optimist sees the opportunity in every difficulty."
    - Sir Winston Churchill (1874-1965)