Thread: Multi-Direction Hinge or Other Ideas

Multi-Direction Hinge or Other Ideas

I have little different challenge/task, and am wondering if anyone has any ideas. In the very crude diagram below, the goal is to have a “control box” slide in to a certain position, then make a 90 degree turn and slide in to an opening. I’ve searched all forms of hinges and drawer slides, and have found nothing I can see that would serve this purpose as the space is somewhat tight. Control panel is 5 sided wooden box, with the back being opened, so it has a bottom.

So, any suggestions on how I might get this accomplished? I’m probably overthinking this, have spent way too much time, and I’m drawing nothing but blanks at this point.

Any suggestions will be greatly appreciated.

Dave....what are the dimensions and weight of the control panel?
    Ken

So much to learn, so little time.....

Quote Originally Posted by Ken Fitzgerald View Post
    Dave....what are the dimensions and weight of the control panel?
    Roughly 21"W x 5"D x 25"H. It will end up weighing somewhere between 10-15 lbs.

Dave....could you make a tray mounted on drawer slides. Mount the control box to the tray with the drawer slides mounted so the control box will slide out for access. I actually looked and found 6" drawer slides like these http://www.cabinetparts.com/p/accuri...06#prettyPhoto . Longer drawer slides can be easily found for sliding the control box out for access.

Actually only one tray mounted to 2 sets of drawer slides would be needed. My mistake!

The two drawer slides would slide 90º to each other.
    Last edited by Ken Fitzgerald; 10-28-2015 at 4:49 PM.
    Ken

Ken, first let me thank you for your help. I keep going back and forth with this and just can't visualize the use of two different drawer slides. I understand the first slide gets the control box, mounted on a tray, into the cabinet. Where I'm struggling is trying to understand how the second slide (running 90° to the first one) would allow the tray to slide that direction, if it's still attached to the first slide.

Maybe it's just my own stupidity, but it would seem I would have to disconnect the first slide, then connect the second slide. Unfortantely there isn't enough room for that type of manipulation.

Please let me know if I'm missing something in your suggestion.

Dave.....can you use/view a Sketchup drawing?

On 2nd thought, I will draw in on paper, and scan it and post it here David.
    Last edited by Ken Fitzgerald; 10-28-2015 at 5:40 PM.
    Ken

Use, not very well, but I should be able to view it. Thanks.

I have it roughly drawn and I think the bugs worked out of it. I am out of coffee, need to make another pot, and check on some door trim in my shop that I am staining. I will return, scan it in and post it shortly.
    Ken

In the attached drawing, I would make a 2nd tray that is inverted compared to the tray shown in this drawing. The sides would be just high enough to handle mounting the slides. I would than mount the control box to the tray. You could possibly mount the 2nd slides directly to the control box.

The tray shown in this drawing has a short side nearest the view to allow for attaching the slides.

tray 002.jpg
    Ken

David I hope this makes sense. You could also make an arrangement using bottom mount slides.
    Ken

Ken...there is no possible way I can thank you enough for helping me with this. I've been mulling this over for nearly two weeks off and on. This makes perfect sense to me now that I can see it.

Here's the funny part...I registered on this forum a couple of weeks ago to ask for help on this very topic, but ended up chickening out because I thought it was a stupid question and I felt silly. Guess I should have asked the first time.

Again, thanks so much...I think I can make this work now.

On a side note, I'm starting to get back in to wood working and obviously have found a fantastic resource!!!

David,

You are certainly welcome! The Creek is certainly a good resource!
    Ken

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Ken Fitzgerald View Post
    In the attached drawing, I would make a 2nd tray that is inverted compared to the tray shown in this drawing. The sides would be just high enough to handle mounting the slides. I would than mount the control box to the tray. You could possibly mount the 2nd slides directly to the control box.

The tray shown in this drawing has a short side nearest the view to allow for attaching the slides.

tray 002.jpg
    That is what I was going to suggest. You need a platform mounted on two under mount slides that go back into your final position and then mount the control cabinet with under mount slides on that platform. Like and X/Y table.
    Lee Schierer
    USNA '71
    Go Navy!

My advice, comments and suggestions are free, but it costs money to run the site. If you found something of value here please give a little something back by becoming a contributor! Please Contribute

Thanks Lee for the advice. I just subscribed to the site because I've started playing with wood again recently. Wife and I are recent empty nesters and I think she took that as a green light to say "hey honey, make this for me"! Looking forward to the great information here.

Ken...thought I would follow up and show you the final product that you helped me design. It's taken me a while to get it put together, but it works just as I wanted and you described. Here are two pictures...one tucked back in it's resting place, and the other extended out to be "serviced" as needed. Thanks again for your help.