Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: The epitome of our craft !

The epitome of our craft !

I know I'm not supposed to post any Fleabay links, so I won't. - But if you've had a tough week and need a laugh, you simply HAVE to see this shop made "table" that some guy is selling for $350. Do a search for:

"Spalted MAPLE 3ring LOG home TABLE Hickory/Cherry support~Woodpecker Hole"

I cannot find the words.

Blog Entries
    Well I doubt a woodpecker had anything to do with the hole and he may well get his asking price, you just never know what someone will pay for crafts.
    Lee Schierer
    USNA '71
    Go Navy!

My advice, comments and suggestions are free, but it costs money to run the site. If you found something of value here please give a little something back by becoming a contributor! Please Contribute

I can't believe he didn't at least fill it in with epoxy.

Then again, I can't believe he made it at all.

It was just too odd not to share.

Different people have different standards...and goals...and aesthetics....and aspirations.....not sure I share any of that particular makers, but he has his thing, its a big world, why not?
    "A good miter set up is like yoga pants: it makes everyone's butts look good." Prashun Patel

Quote Originally Posted by Lee Schierer View Post
    Well I doubt a woodpecker had anything to do with the hole and he may well get his asking price, you just never know what someone will pay for crafts.

I'll 2nd that, he has 6800 transactions with 100% feedback, that's more than I can say. I have seen better work, but I have seen much worse.
    A bus station is where a bus stops. A train station is where a train stops. My desk is a work station.

Just glancing at the sellers other stuff, it looks like they spend more time shopping for purses.

Dang woodpecker must have started at the top of that maple and worked his way down through the center, never seen that done before.

I'm not sure why you feel the need to rip on somebody else's work. I'm sure there's a good market for it, heck my in laws would like it for their "cabin room" in their house.

And how do you know he's not a member of this forum?

I don't like it, no problem. But that turkey stuffed with flowers....was not prepared for that,maybe someone paid for product placement

I like it. It is "dollar for dollar" nicer then anything I have made in a long long time. He made it out of free local materials, with what appears to be a cordless drill, an old belt sander, and a free wooden yardstick. Heck, I would venture to say I have more money in chisels and plane irons alone, never mind the rest of my shop. And forget about what I pay for materials........I doubt he agonizes over finishing schedules as well.

And as for skill, I have NEVER been able to get a round like that to not just split all apart when it dries, and I have tried. Over the years cutting firewood (when I find an interesting piece) I would cut various size rounds and do everything I could find to slow dry them for stepping stones, or just because they looked cool. Failure, after failure, after failure.

I can't comment on the price but it can't be cheap to ship that thing. Every fall harvest fair I went to this year had somebody selling similar rustic items, and they are there every year. The sales must make it worth it.

I did get a chuckle out of the maker's posed pictures with tools in hand...........

OK, ok, I take it back. (I guess.)

Still not my cup of tea, in fact I still find it ridiculous, but to each his own, I guess.

Interesting woodpecker! All of them in Minnesota make a hole in the side of the tree, not the center.

You guys are all missing the point: "Up-cycled" and "Vintage" is where it's at now. Just slap it together, don't take all the paint off, take a photo of it with a few young bearded fellows sitting around and drinking out of mason jars and you can sell it on Etsy for 3X the price.

Erik
    Ex-SCM and Felder rep

If you have a log cabin, this might be nice to have. I used to own a log cabin and loved this type of furniture in it.

Quote Originally Posted by Jeff Monson View Post
    he has 6800 transactions with 100% feedback
    I could only dream of that level of satisfaction ... Woodpecker is my new hero ...
    "the mechanic that would perfect his work must first sharpen his tools.” Confucius