Thread: I found a Hammer A3-31

I found a Hammer A3-31

Two years old and the guy is asking $3100. Has the silent head. Accessories include mobility kit, cleaning kit and metric and imperial digital hand wheels. Deal or no deal?

The machine is 1500 miles from me so I will have to drive it back, can probably fly there and rent a U-Haul to drive back.
    Last edited by Kent Adams; 10-29-2015 at 7:40 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Kent Adams View Post
    Two years old and the guy is asking $3100. Has the silent head. Accessories include mobility kit, cleaning kit and metric and imperial digital hand wheels. Deal or no deal?

The machine is 1500 miles from me so I will have to drive it back, can probably fly there and rent a U-Haul to drive back.
    Just out of curiosity, what does that machine cost new? After you pay for the flight, uhaul rental, and your time... Is it worth it?

Quote Originally Posted by Michael Stein View Post
    Just out of curiosity, what does that machine cost new? After you pay for the flight, uhaul rental, and your time... Is it worth it?
    The owner claims $6000 with all the add ons. I'm not sure how accurate that is. A Uhaul is going to cost $800 plus gas. I'd probably have to stay somewhere overnight as well.

Planer is 3,800 new with the silent power. 200.00 for both dials. 260 for the rolling carriage. Cleaning kit have no idea it's not listed. I paid I think 2100 for mine with the straight blades imperial dial, and 4 of the swivel casters. Very little use from a fellow creeker that bought it new. Since then this machine has had a few problems the largest was the motor smoked itself. Hammer has changed vendors for the motor at least twice with the latest model.

What the differences are between early model and late I can't say anymore, just don't remember. What I will say is with a motor change, most likely will be a complete new harness and controls requirement as well. For another 1000.00 you get a new one with a warranty and you wont have to play road warrior to get it.

I love mine even with the few problems. The table extensions are large plus!
    Last edited by David Nelson1; 10-29-2015 at 9:28 AM.

It's tough to ask a impersonal forum whether you should spend money. Lots of people don't like the combination machines, I happen to be in the minority that actually likes them. I have Mini-Max, but have used Felder and seen/heard the Silent Cutter head work. 1) It's a really nice machine, well built, work for a lifetime, etc. 2) They're expensive new, Felder charges for every accessory (like Festool), but they all work really well together, 3) I think 12" is kind of small for this type of machine - it is a little limiting at times, and 4) if you're getting the mortising attachment and would use that - it changes the dynamics a lot.

I've got a 5 function combo and an older Mini-Max J/P in the 12" configuration. Both with the mortising attachment. I traveled ~450 miles to pick up the 5 function machine, probably as far as I'd go. At $3,100 plus $300 for a flight, $800 for a U-Haul, gas, hotel, ancillary stuff, you're probably into this used machine for $4,500 or 25% off new. But at $4,500 landed cost....I'm not sure if I'd do it. I'd probably wait for a machine within reasonable weekend driving distance.

Either way you go, I for one like a big wide jointer - and the changeover time has never been an issue for me. I like the smaller footprint and the added power of these industrial/advanced hobbiest machines. I'm sure you'll make the right choice for you. BTW: Power Drive and Digital indicators/readouts are REALLY nice to have on these machines.

IMO, its too much for that distance. Having a need for both handwheels is not important, you will calibrate it with one wheel and stick with it. The "cleaning kit" would have little to no additional value. Mobility kit really depends, I didn't care for the factory one and made my own (you will get lots of mixed opinions on the Hammer mobility kit). So all the advertised extras do not really add up to that much in my experience. I've bought a few machines long distance, but they were at a price that made shipping them worth the extra headache. I'd get a quote on shipping as it would be much cheaper than you flying out there, renting a vehicle, taking time off work and all the additional expenses. A few good pics should reveal enough about the condition of the machine. I just don't think what he is asking would justify the distance and the savings.
    A bus station is where a bus stops. A train station is where a train stops. My desk is a work station.

I bought that same machine 2 months ago for about 4K without the mobility kit. It cost about 150 to ship it.

3100 is a wonderful price but with the driving I think u are close to the new price.

All in its a fair price for a wonderful tool, but it's on the edge of being a great deal imho.

Blog Entries
    Total cost to get it to your shop (gas. parking, flight, truck rental, food, etc.) would make me buy new. It is a great deal for someone nearby.
    "A hen is only an egg's way of making another egg".

– Samuel Butler

Prashun, do you remember who shipped it and did they palletize it?

Kent and David-
    Beware that if you buy new, you will pay tax and shipping if Felder USA ships it to you. That was close to $400 for me (YMMV). If you arrange for pick up or go get it yourself, then Felder will not charge you tax. The rate I got for arranging my own pickup was based on the fact that I did not require lift gate. LG costs more.

I have casters on mine, so I don't own the mobility kit. My casters were $150 total.

I didn't read properly; your kit comes with the extension tables which are a nice to have. I don't find them necessary, but my machine DOES snipe a little without them.

If I were to buy all the stuff in the below kit and have it shipped to my shop, I'd bet it'd be around $4500 all in.

Does your seller have a loading dock? I'd bet LTL for that distance wouldn't be more than a couple hundred $$.
    Last edited by Prashun Patel; 10-29-2015 at 11:12 AM.

A 1500 miles drive has too many risks. I guess I've been watching Fargo too much.