Thread: Skyped Woodturning Presentation

Colby, Washington. Just across the Puget Sound from Seattle, near Blake Island.

Skyped Woodturning Presentation

Our club -- The Olympic Peninsula Woodturners -- crossed an interesting threshold with our programs last evening. We were celebrating our 30th year as a woodturning organization and 25th as a chapter of The American Association of Woodturners, and we took that opportunity to honor Wally Dickerman, who has been spinning wood blanks for nearly 80 years.

At 94, Wally just wasn't up to the long, arduous drive from his current home in Portland up to Bremerton and back, so we improvised; we did a live feed and interview with him using a Skype connection, feeding it into our two huge monitors at the meeting hall and jury-rigging a sound system. We also superimposed a slide show of his work and collected images of his career. Sure, we had some technical hiccups, but it worked out very well and we shared information that couldn't have been presented any other way. I can't help but think we pioneered a new way to bring famous artisans to the forefront without the costs of travel, hotel, and speakers fees.

Now, I seriously doubt that a bowl demonstration would be very successful through this method. This lends itself to an interview-and-slide show sort of thing, but in the age of advanced smart phones, I suppose someone could creatively make it work. I bring this up because I know that there are other chapter presidents and program coordinators who could put this to use.

By the way, Wally Dickerman is a wonderful woodturner with a rich history. Here's a link to our newsletter, which previewed the event and talks about Wally. http://www.opcaaw.com/Newsletters/oct_15.pdf

Russell Neyman

Writer - Woodworker - Historian
    Instructor: The Woodturning Experience
    Puget Sound, Washington State

"Outside of a dog, there's nothing better than a good book; inside of a dog it's too dark to read."

2. Superb! Wally's contributions to woodturning should be celebrated, and the fact your club was able to use technology to do so might just open up new opportunities for other clubs. Well done Olympic Peninsula members......this is cool!

Any chance someone could post the presentation to youtube so others around the country could view it?
    Remember, in a moments time, everything can change!

Vision - not just seeing what is, but seeing what can be!

Colby, Washington. Just across the Puget Sound from Seattle, near Blake Island.
    Quote Originally Posted by Roger Chandler View Post
    Well done Olympic Peninsula members......this is cool! Any chance someone could post the presentation to youtube so others around the country could view it?
    Not this time, Roger. Sorry. We are in the process of switching all of our video equipment to higher definition digital technology, and haven't purchased the recording pieces yet. Half of our system in one type, and the other is the new type. Which brings up a sidenote worth discussion: Any tips on applying for an AAW educational grant to help us complete this? Just the ability to record and edit from multiple cameras so that we can post valuable interviews and lessons would make the investment worthwhile.

Russell Neyman

Writer - Woodworker - Historian
    Instructor: The Woodturning Experience
    Puget Sound, Washington State

"Outside of a dog, there's nothing better than a good book; inside of a dog it's too dark to read."

I don't know about "tips" for the grant, but the process is very straightforward and can all be done online. Just go to the AAW website and follow the links. Outline a budget, both that will be covered by the grant and what monies, if any, the club will come up with to finish the process.

That's awesome Russell. Great idea! And thanks to Wally for sharing his experience and his fantastic turnings with us. I think we have all learned a few things from Wally.

Quote Originally Posted by Russell Neyman View Post
    ..... Which brings up a sidenote worth discussion: Any tips on applying for an AAW educational grant to help us complete this? Just the ability to record and edit from multiple cameras so that we can post valuable interviews and lessons would make the investment worthwhile.
    As I recall the "old" video system did get help from a grant from the AAW, I don't remember who worked it though.
    Making sawdust mostly, sometimes I get something else, but that is more by accident then design.

Quote Originally Posted by Russell Neyman View Post
    ..... I can't help but think we pioneered a new way to bring famous artisans to the forefront without the costs of travel, hotel, and speakers fees.

Now, I seriously doubt that a bowl demonstration would be very successful through this method. This lends itself to an interview-and-slide show sort of thing, but in the age of advanced smart phones, I suppose someone could creatively make it work. I bring this up because I know that there are other chapter presidents and program coordinators who could put this to use.
    I know Sari Robinson (Dr Spalt) has done her wood-splating presentation via remote video conferencing, she only travels to close clubs like ours (what with the baby and all).
    The AAW has sent out some promotional e-mails on hers and at least one other remote video presentation.
    Making sawdust mostly, sometimes I get something else, but that is more by accident then design.