Thread: PC restore previous OS

Blog Entries

PC restore previous OS

I have been having problems on my 8 year old Dell Inspiron 1525 regarding the inability to complete Windows updates so in exasparation I loaded in my Win 7 disk and reloaded the OS, keeping my existing files. All well and good until it asked me for the key to register the program. Nowhere to be found. I could pay Microsoft $109 for a new key, not going to happen as I am on the verge of getting a new laptop anyway if this keeps up. So my question: Can I do a restore to get back to my previous "legit" OS? Of course, right now it keeps telling me I must have a pirated copy.
    NOW you tell me...

isn't the code on the jacket or plastic the disk is protected by?
    Universal Laser ILS 12.150D (48"x24") 135 watts total, with 60 watt and 75 watt laser cartridges. Class 4 Module (pass thru ability). Photograv 3.0, Corel X6, Adobe Design Standard CS4 Suite, Engrave Lab laser Version 8, Melco Single Head Comercial Embroidery Machine, The Magic Touch System with Oki C711WT printer, and Graphtec CE6000-60 plotter.

If you bought it from Dell with Win7, it has the key on the computer by MS licensing requirements.

If it is really 8 years old it didn't come with Win7.

If you bought Win7 then the key is with the disk.

First step is where did the disk come from?

look on the bottom of the laptop that is usually where the MS key is.

Ole, unless you can find the disk box that was in, I think you're toast without the help from MS itself. Because of the age of your computer, which is older than Win 7, its not the original operating system. See if there is a MS store near you, a real one, not a reseller. You might be better off copying all your files to an external hard disk and buying another computer without that key. If you buy a new computer, you should know that Windows 10 will update your computer whether you gave it permission or not, which is, in my opinion terrible because if you have 3rd party software, it may not be compatible with the updated OS. Maybe a good opportunity to switch to Mac? I made the switch 15 years ago over driver issues and a scanner I couldn't get to work on my then new Dell $3000 laptop. You can run all of the software for Windows in a Mac so you can have both operating systems if you need them. But, you'll still need a registered Windows disk with the key to load it on a Mac

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Kent Adams View Post
    If you buy a new computer, you should know that Windows 10 will update your computer whether you gave it permission or not, which is, in my opinion terrible because if you have 3rd party software, it may not be compatible with the updated OS. (
    I purchased a new PC after windows 10 was out and I had to ask to upgrade to windows 10. So far other than a minor printer issue, I've had no problems with older software. My Windows 7 machine is still running windows 7 and it has never asked to upgrade to Windows 10.
    Lee Schierer
    USNA '71
    Go Navy!

My advice, comments and suggestions are free, but it costs money to run the site. If you found something of value here please give a little something back by becoming a contributor! Please Contribute

Does your hard drive have a restore partition? Boot from that and reinstall/repair.

Quote Originally Posted by Myk Rian View Post
    Does your hard drive have a restore partition? Boot from that and reinstall/repair.
    Even though a lot of computers do have a restore partition, all of them that I've seen will require you to re-enter your license code to reinstall. You can repair without it but not reinstall.

Also, look in the battery compartment, I have seen that on a few laptops.
    Sometimes we see what we expect to see, and not what we are looking at! Scott

Windows 10 just came out. I assume they will continue to update in the future. Developers had 2 years to make their apps work. They won't get that type of lead for service packs.

Quote Originally Posted by Ole Anderson View Post
    I have been having problems on my 8 year old Dell Inspiron 1525 regarding the inability to complete Windows updates so in exasparation I loaded in my Win 7 disk and reloaded the OS, keeping my existing files. All well and good until it asked me for the key to register the program. Nowhere to be found. I could pay Microsoft $109 for a new key, not going to happen as I am on the verge of getting a new laptop anyway if this keeps up. So my question: Can I do a restore to get back to my previous "legit" OS? Of course, right now it keeps telling me I must have a pirated copy.
    According to Microsoft, you are trying to steal a copy of Windows 7 that you didn't pay for. They will not be anxious to help you out of your dilemma.

Blog Entries
    It came with vista, that key is on the bottom of the computer. 5 years ago I upgraded to 7, but misplaced the case with the number on it. I guess I am toast.

Try Magic Jelly Bean and see if it can read the CD key used to install the Win 7 upgrade.
    My granddad always said, :As one door closes, another opens".
    Wonderful man, terrible cabinet maker...

Belarc adviser will tel you the keys