Thread: Touch-up HSS Cutters - What to Use?

Blog Entries

Touch-up HSS Cutters - What to Use?

I guess you have to select a "Prefix" since my first submission has gone missing.

I use diamond paddles, a small stone cone and needle files to sharpen HCS Forstner bits. The stone and diamond paddles work OK for my HSS Forstner and sawtooth bits but, I need something to handle the saw-tooth and smaller flat areas. My current needle files slide right off. I bought some EZ-Lap diamond needle files but, the HSS rubbed the diamonds right off the substrate. I have had similar problems with Trend's diamond products. My DMT diamond products work very well but, they do not offer a needle file like product.

My question; Does anyone have a recommendation for a needle file-like product that will cut HSS? As mentioned, my problem area is the small sawtooth faces and such.
    "A hen is only an egg's way of making another egg".

– Samuel Butler

i just shape the pink stone for the die grinder. Cheap diamond needle files can be had at your big box store of Chinese goodness.
    jack
    English machines

What worked for me...

You might want to look into using a dremel type disk. They come in a variety of abrasives including diamond. I think you'll have better luck with an abrasive that is for HSS
    and not diamond grit.

On my forstner bits, I used those CMT paddles and they worked fine. I did not use them on the little teeth which are only on the bigger bits in my set of Forstner bits.
    Last edited by Terry Beadle; 10-31-2015 at 12:58 PM. Reason: clarification comment