Thread: pictures rotated

pictures rotated

Mods

Trying to upload pictures from my iPhone and they get rotated 90 deg in the attachments tool. Is this me, or a known issue? Do I have to pre-rotate photos from an iphone, if so is it clockwise or anti-clockwise from the way it downloads to my PC? Is there a rotation feature hidden in the photo attachment tool?

thanks.

Ken, chances are that the orientation of each image is contained in the metadata of the photo. Best bet is to remove the metadata if possible or orient the image correctly while viewing on your PC - then save it at that orientation before uploading to the site.
    Steve

“You never know what you got til it's gone!”
    Please don’t let that happen!
    Become a financial Contributor today!

Thanks Steve,

Trouble is the picture is oriented correctly on the phone and on my PC. It just becomes "wrong" when uploaded to the site. Taking pics with iphones etc is so common these days that I am surprised there's a disconnect. That's why I'm wondering if it's me, although I can't think what I might be doing that's wrong, the process is pretty darned simple.

Ken - the metadata contained within the image orients the image for correct viewing on your phone and PC but most likely is posted here as it was originally taken. If you can remove the metadata - I do believe that would take care of the issue - but I will tell you that I do not have a cell phone and am only advising what I think may be the problem. Hopefully someone else will be able to chime in here and assist.
    Steve

“You never know what you got til it's gone!”
    Please don’t let that happen!
    Become a financial Contributor today!

Steve is correct - it's a well known problem. If you send pictures to an Apple product, it will be correctly oriented based on the metadata. But if you send the pictures to a non-Apple product the picture will likely not be oriented based on the metadata.

To find which orientation of the phone (when the picture is taken) gives a correct orientation when viewed by an non-Apple product, take a picture with each orientation and email the picture to a non-Apple product (maybe a PC), with a note as to the orientation of the phone when you took the picture.

I did that one time but I don't remember which way was the right way.

For posting here, do the above and post the pictures to a test post. You can delete the post later. Once you know the correct orientation you can take your pictures for posting with that orientation.

Mike
    Last edited by Mike Henderson; 10-31-2015 at 2:32 PM.
    Go into the world and do well. But more importantly, go into the world and do good.

If your home PC is Windows based you should be able to open, rotate (if necessary) and re-save in a program like MS Picture Manager. Once re-saved, it should upload to SMC in the desired orientation.
    Please help support the Creek.

"It's paradoxical that the idea of living a long life appeals to everyone, but the idea of getting old doesn't appeal to anyone."
    Andy Rooney

There's a useful add-on for Firefox users that fixes the problem on the viewer's end. The name is image zoom and it's useful for more than just rotating images.

Turn the phone horizontal (on its side) to take pictures.