Thread: Mid Century . . . . . .

Blog Entries

Mid Century . . . . . .

Full Circle, Nakashima's book.

I read somewhere that George Nakashima's designs are Mid Century.
    I don't see his work as Mid Century. His work was in the middle 20th century. But. . . . ...

I see Mid Century as being Fed Mart. I bought several pieces of what I call Danish Modern.
    They were nice designs that I like. Fed Mart had a lot of Danish Walnut furniture that I liked and still do.

I don't see Danish Modern as inferior. So, I do appreciate Mid Century.

Just a play on words.

Blog Entries
    Mid century is a non-definition of a body of work that seems to be continuously expanding and remains quite vague.

I've seen work termed 'mid-century' that encompasses everything from Bauhaus all the way on through to contemporary work, which would practically include the entire century.

Nakashima was part of the American Craft movement which mostly occurred during the middle of the century. Because of this overlap in time period and also because his work is commonly placed in modern homes and with modern furniture he's often grouped in with 'Mid-Century'.

More appropriate terminology for those group of work that are often considered mid century are;

Bauhaus
    Danish Modernism
    American Modernism
    American Craft

I dont have exact definitions for them, but a lot of European industrial design is also grouped in with mid-century.
    Bumbling forward into the unknown.

Blog Entries
    Michael Crow, in his book "Mid-century Modern Furniture", stated much of what you just posted.

He definitely tied Nakashima into the mid century work. Crow echoed a lot of what you wrote.

Mid century furniture has increased in popularity for interior designers, furniture manufacturers and homeowners across the country. This furniture style features clean lines, gentle curves, simplistic styles, and multipurpose functions that were found during the modernist movement time period that spanned from 1930 up to 1965. Popular mid-century furniture designers include Arne Jacobsen, George Nelson, Isamu Noguchi, Charles and Ray Eames, Eero Saarinen, Harry Bertoia, Vernor Panton, and Hans Wegner.