Thread: Introduction and my most recent project - live edge maple table

Introduction and my most recent project - live edge maple table

Hi all,

I just joined and wanted to say hi and introduce myself, and show off a recent project I completed a short time ago. It's a live edge Big-Leaf Maple we brought to MB from the West Coast when we moved a couple of years ago. I met a glass guy here and he helped me make the lakes that go into the table.

First time uploading photos here so I hope this works out

IMG_4943.jpgIMG_4950.jpgIMG_4928.jpgIMG_4939.jpg

Welcome to the creek! That's a great looking table, Chris. I really like the glass lakes.
    Last edited by Ted Calver; 10-31-2015 at 10:24 PM.

Hello Chris and welcome! Beautiful table...nice work on the lakes. I'm assuming MB is Myrtle Beach?
    Thanks for sharing.
    Phil

Hi Chris! Great idea combining the glass and maple.

Thanks Gents - MB is for Manitoba, Canada!

Welcome Chris!! Really like the table, that's a nice twist for a live edge piece adding in the lakes. Very well done.
    A bus station is where a bus stops. A train station is where a train stops. My desk is a work station.

Ah Manitoba......Welcome and beautiful table and pictures.

Very cool. I've gotta ask, how do you do the lakes. Again awesome job.

Awesome table!
    But you gotta tell us how you made the glass lakes.

I have a glass guy. I gave him a mold of the basic shapes that I want, and he cut plates of ⅛" glass to fit my molds. Because we wanted some color in the lakes to give it the appearance of depth (darker in the middle), we added different layers of colour. I think these lakes have 6 layers to them.

After the layers are all cut and fitted, he then casts it all together in the mold I gave him at really high heat (1,000* plus) and then cools it down slowly. It's a really cool process, and the fella's name is Matt, and he runs this glass shop in Winnipeg: https://www.prairiestudioglass.com.

Once I get the glass pieces back, then I used a router to make a positive, then another negative which I used to rout the lakes into the table.

It was a fun process. We brought the wood back with us from the West Coast when we moved, it was harvested 20 miles from our house.

Thank you for your interest
    Last edited by Chris Kiely; 11-08-2015 at 9:46 AM. Reason: fix grammar

Quote Originally Posted by Chris Kiely View Post
    I have a glass guy. I gave him a mold of the basic shapes that I want, and he cut plates of ⅛" glass to fit my molds. Because we wanted some color in the lakes to give it the appearance of depth (darker in the middle), we added different layers of colour. I think these lakes have 6 layers to them.

After the layers are all cut and fitted, he then casts it all together in the mold I gave him at really high heat (1,000* plus) and then cools it down slowly. It's a really cool process, and the fella's name is Matt, and he runs this glass shop in Winnipeg: https://www.prairiestudioglass.com.

Once I get the glass pieces back, then I used a router to make a positive, then another negative which I used to rout the lakes into the table.

It was a fun process. We brought the wood back with us from the West Coast when we moved, it was harvested 20 miles from our house.

Thank you for your interest
    What material did you use to make the mold that has to withstand a thousand degrees?

I forget the name of it, but it comes in a sheet, and has a density and appearance similar to drywall. I think it's the same stuff that insulates the sides of blast furnaces, only in sheet form.

It machines quite well with a router.

i just looked it up and more accurate way to describe the process would be fused glass: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Fused_glass

Killer, absolutely killer.

Very tastefully done. Nice aesthetics.