Thread: Can this become a decent user?

Can this become a decent user?

A friend gave me a few tools that belonged to his grandfather - a master carpenter in the Grand Rapids, MI area.
    Included were a couple of wooden planes. One is a Ohio Tool King 051. I think I can get it in shape to take a shaving or two.

Looking for your opinions on the second. By the way, if you click on the photo, it should right itself...I think.
    Wood Plane 1.JPG

Having trouble ID'ing the maker. Maybe someone can shed some light.

Wood Plane 2.JPGWood Plane 3.JPG

My main concern is the mouth and depression just in front of the mouth. It's a good 1/8".
    Wood Plane 4.JPGWood Plane 5.JPG

Not real thrilled it's covered in poly or something either...but whatever.

So, can this be a user...or destined to the old tools display shelf?

Thanks all.
    Phil

You might be able to chisel out a key shaped mortise, maybe 1" or so wide and as deep as the depression (1/8"?) and glue in a piece of hardwood. Then use another plane to flatten the bottom and the repair.

I've read about repairs like that and it "looks" do-able.

Fred

Blog Entries
    +1 on what Fred posted.

I have seen the repair he mentions. Some folks will flatten the bottom and add a piece as big as the plane.

Google > wooden plane repair < and you will find lots of information, some of it may be useful.

jtk
    "A pessimist sees the difficulty in every opportunity; an optimist sees the opportunity in every difficulty."
    - Sir Winston Churchill (1874-1965)

Before doing a repair sharpen it up and work at a skewed angle, I bet you'll have some fun.
    I have some of my great grandfather's tools of around that period and I've found that the guys who made a living with them knew a helluva lot more than I do. One is a wooden jack that looks worse than yours with darn near no blade left at all, works just fine after a touchup 100 years later.
    “Whether you think you can, or you think you can't--you're right.”
    ― Henry Ford

I have an enclosed-handle woodie smoother just like that, and I love it for "normal" (not too hard or finnicky) woods. Definitely worth working on, esp given the history.

I bet that with a little effort, since the mouth is what needs work anyway, you could even give it a MOVABLE mouth. Take a look at how ECE Primus does it, or maybe a Steve Knight plane if you can find one. It would require some precision work, after the fact, but it's definitely possible.

Is it absolutely forbidden to use power tools to fix an old tool? Take a 1/4" off on a jointer and glue some rosewood to the bottom then make anew mouth.

Thanks all for the input. Would love to put it back to use. Guess I'll start with a sharpening...then some good options to look into to.

Quote Originally Posted by John T Barker View Post
    Is it absolutely forbidden to use power tools to fix an old tool? Take a 1/4" off on a jointer and glue some rosewood to the bottom then make anew mouth.
    That's what I'd do. Actually, it's what I did to a woodie I have, except that I used lignum vitae.

Mike
    Go into the world and do well. But more importantly, go into the world and do good.

Quote Originally Posted by John T Barker View Post

Exactly what I was thinking as well. - and then he could also make the movable mouth, just by leaving a small gap, and putting two allen bolts into the mouth bottom, going up into the body through a couple of slightly-widened holes. (slots)

Lignum is pretty hard to glue, and the OP probably would be able to use DT's for the main sole, but screws & plugs would probably not be too offensive looking. How did you attach yours, Mike?
    Last edited by Allan Speers; 11-03-2015 at 7:10 AM.

Any repair would be useful. I hope you have the opportunity to use it. The plane and iron look good. Since the existing mouth is so large I think putting on a new sole and continuing the original bevel through a new sole may be the best option. Just depends on how much time you want to devote to making it work or make it work well. Good luck. I would sure like to see what you end up doing.

I'd like to see it too, Phil.
    Good luck!