Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Trouble finding next project

Trouble finding next project

I would say my woodworking skills are between beginner and intermediate. I'm trying to find projects that will continue to build up new skills. I have a decently equipped shop but am missing a bandsaw, jointer and planer. Every project I find online requires varying thickness wood. A tool chest plan I found needs 1/4", 5/8" and 1 1/8" pieces of wood. The big box stores have limited supply of thin pieces and probably nothing over 3/4". There is a hardwood supplier not too far away but it's been years since I've been there and I don't remember seeing thin stock and thicker stock was rough sawn. I'm sure most woodworkers went through this dilemma at some point. What did you do?

Thanks,

Aaron

This is a easy one start looking at jointers I would suggest a 8 inch.I say a flat face and tru square edge more important than two parallel surfaces.

I would disagree with Andrew, if you can only afford one, get a planer. You can face joint on a planer with a planer sled and edge joint on a table saw or router table with a sled or split fence setup. Thickness planing on a jointer would be difficult.

A lunchbox planer along with even a narrow jointer will open up a world of project possibilities. I'd put the planer ahead of the jointer if only getting one of the two was possible for the reason Doug mentions. I might think differently except I've never had issues getting decently flat rough-sawn boards at my local hardwood supplier. Because of that I've been able to get along fine with a 6" planer for the past 3 decades.

Naw better to learn woodworking with proper tools and machines that do the job intended.That way do don't end up with a jigs and fixtures hanging from the walls of your shop that take up space.
    Id rather get my lumber processed quickly than save money,with cleaver work arounds.

If you're not ready to invest in a jointer and/or planer (a "well-equipped" shop has both) you generally have three options:

1. Do projects that use lumber "as is" from your lumber source. You may have to modify plans to accommodate the available materials.

2. Get someone else to mill your stock. Maybe find a local cabinet shop that will mill for a fee. Or join a local woodworking club and make friends with someone with a "well-equipped' shop. Take a class at a local junior college with a woodworking shop.

3. Do your milling by hand. Neanderthals prefer this method. Too much work for me.

I think Andrew and I illustrate two different approaches to woodworking. While I agree with using the right tool for the job, for me the right tool includes a $2 shop made jig to replace a $1000 "proper machine ". Even Norm Abrams who had a seemingly unlimited budget for machines still used lot's of jigs. As a hobby woodworker, half the fun is making my own router lift, planer jig, router mortise jig etc. If I was a pro woodworker making my living in the shop I might lean more towards Andrew's approach. So to the OP, there are lot's of choices and depending on your circumstances and whether you enjoy making your own shop jigs and fixtures or not you can spend your money on a bunch of single purpose machines or your time making jigs to get multiple uses out of a few basic machines.

There's no way I'd suggest a jointer before a planer. You can jig a planer to work like a jointer but you can't jig a jointer to work like a planer.

Side rant: I hate that autocorrect always wants to change planer to planet!

Quote Originally Posted by Matt Day View Post
    Side rant: I hate that autocorrect always wants to change planer to planet!
    Yes, mine keeps changing planer to planter even after I added planer to the dictionary.

Someone you know have plants?

Sunp0024.jpg

100_1986.jpg

How about a 2 step folding ladder?

0712091844.jpg

Lighthouse?

20130721_203822.jpg

Toddler toys?

0410091158.jpg

0509091718.jpg

Aaron Doug make a very good point I have not cons.Some woodworker are very good at making jigs and fixtures I am not one.I can make a decent sled for my table saw but that's about it.
    My first jointer was a craftsman I paid 50.00.I like jointers so I will hold my ground on that.

Thanks to everybody for your thoughts. Looks like a jointer and planer are getting moved up on my to-buy list. I just found a factory refurbished DW734 for only $329 but I hesitate because I don't want to be buying a bigger, better planer in a couple years. Time for some research.

Cheers,

Aaron

When I first started I built tons of cabinets and small furniture without a jointer or planer. All I had was a portable table saw and a miter saw. Even now that I have both I usually have my lumber supplier surface and straight line rip my material. Your projects will tell you what equipment you need. You would not regret that planer purchase, it's a nice machine.

Aaron,
    I don't think there is a right or wrong order to get a jointer or planer or any other tool for that matter. Get what works best for you for how and what you build. Personally, I have no problem getting rough sawn material in a condition that a lunchbox planer can not transform into furniture grade material. Therefore I have no need for a jointer. Like many space is also a factor and would rather use it for a drum sander.

Before you do anything take visit to your local lumberyard and look around at what they have. Also talk to a sales rep tell them your situation. If it is a well run yard they will see you as a future customer and provide some good advice. Many lumber yards provide varying finishing services that may be useful for your next project.

as far as the Dewalt DW 734. It is a good machine and you would have no trouble reselling in a couple years for a couple hundred bucks. Thing is that machine can handle most of the material that hobbyists will run through a planer and it takes up little space. I d be willing to bet it's cousin the dw735 is the most owned planer by members on this forum.

There are mail order places that sell wood of all sizes and types. Perhaps that will keep you going till you decide what tool is next.
    Rick Potter

DIY journeyman,
    FWW wannabe.
    AKA Village Idiot.