Thread: Stanley 78 Plane

Stanley 78 Plane

I just bought a Stanley 78 hand plane and I noticed while tuning up the blade that the edge of the blade sticks out beyond the edge of the sole by about 1/16 th inch. Since this plane can be used to make dadoes I thought this might be a problem. Or since I do not know much about these planes it may be that it is intentional. For what purpose I do not know. The plane was purchased on eBay and is very old. Pictures of other planes like this show blade profiles exactly like mine (1 1/2 inch width). Any thoughts on this being a problem or just normal.

Regards,
    Don

The blade should peek out a bit. 1/16th might be a bit more than necessary but should be OK.

Blog Entries
    Don,

The Stanley 78 isn't much for dados.

The blade does stick out of the side a touch. My method for setting the blade is to raise the depth stop, lay the plane on the side side opposite the fence and press the blade to the surface on which the plane rests. This should make the blade even or just a skosh proud of the side. It is also possible to set a shaving between the plane body and the surface if more blade protrusion is wanted.

If the blade doesn't cut as wide as the plane, your side wall will start to tilt. Too much blade sticking out can cause other problems.

Practice with some scrap and you will find the ways of the rebate/rabbet.

If you are making rabbets/rebates all around a piece, do the cross grain rabbets first. The rebates/rabbets going with the grain will help remove the edge blow out common with working across the grain.

jtk
    "A pessimist sees the difficulty in every opportunity; an optimist sees the opportunity in every difficulty."
    - Sir Winston Churchill (1874-1965)

What jtk ^ said.

And don't expect much. Mine sits on the shelf its just too fiddly for me.

Pretty much what Jim said but to add just a little. The fence is your reference surface on any fenced plane, the iron should protrude as Jim said "just a skosh". Unless I'm doing more than a couple or three rebates a unfenced rebate plane is easier and quicker.

ken