Thread: Rabbet plane

Rabbet plane

It ain't too pretty, but it works
    image.jpg
    I messed up the fence a little bit, it doesn't let me use the whole width of the blade.

I'd like to add a depth stop and a knicker to it some time.

I like it! Please tell us more. Forgive my ignorance here - what wood did you use? Was this a first attempt? Did you recycle an old iron or buy new and heat treat it?

You may be able to tweak the fence to get full width. I can't tell for sure from this pic, but if you post another, I'll bet someone can suggest a fix.

I find it exciting to make my own planes. Just a good sense of accomplishment. Hope you do too.
    Fred

Quote Originally Posted by Frederick Skelly View Post
    I like it! Please tell us more. Forgive my ignorance here - what wood did you use? Was this a first attempt? Did you recycle an old iron or buy new and heat treat it?

You may be able to tweak the fence to get full width. I can't tell for sure from this pic, but if you post another, I'll bet someone can suggest a fix.

I find it exciting to make my own planes. Just a good sense of accomplishment. Hope you do too.
    Fred
    This was my first attempt at any tool making. I used a piece of Douglas fir from a 2x4, and built it around my 3/4" bench chisel. I'd like to find a piece of steel to heat treat so I can have a dedicated blade for it, but I think I'll wait till I can get some better wood to re make the plane.

Fixing the fence will be an easy thing, just have to move a couple of screw holes back an 1/8".

Making this and seeing it work well was a huge sense of accomplishment, I will most definately be making more planes.

Cool. Paul Sellers is grinnin right about now.
    David

Blog Entries
    Looks like fun.

jtk
    "A pessimist sees the difficulty in every opportunity; an optimist sees the opportunity in every difficulty."
    - Sir Winston Churchill (1874-1965)

Impressive use of a 2x4 for sure. Hats off

Quote Originally Posted by Kenneth Fisher View Post
    This was my first attempt at any tool making. I used a piece of Douglas fir from a 2x4, and built it around my 3/4" bench chisel. I'd like to find a piece of steel to heat treat so I can have a dedicated blade for it, but I think I'll wait till I can get some better wood to re make the plane.

Fixing the fence will be an easy thing, just have to move a couple of screw holes back an 1/8".

Making this and seeing it work well was a huge sense of accomplishment, I will most definately be making more planes.
    I see you're using the wood river chisels, they offer half-decent 3/4 blades for your your plane for about $15 if I remember correctly.