Thread: Finishing Drawers

Finishing Drawers

I am beginning to think about assembly on my first attempt at half blind dovetail drawers. Can the membership provide tips and tricks for assembly and finishing drawer boxes?

I would, and do, finish the inside of all pieces before dovetailing and assembly. Plenty of glue surfaces after dovetailing. After finishing outside of drawers, a quick swipe with 320/400 sandpaper will remove overspray on inside of drawer. Just my take.

I'm no professional, so I'm sure there are better ways.

sand everything before assembly, glue on tails only & if bottom is ply glue that too, touchup dovetails with block plane or sander and you are ready for finish - I spray most of my drawer boxes but for a few drawers or for shop use I will use a hand applied finish - BLO or a wiping varnish

depending on the design I will dye the drawer boxes or just leave them natural color with a clear finish

Blog Entries
    Tape off or dry assemble and shellac interior of drawer box if desired. Shellac exterior of drawer box after assembly. Finish front to suit; I finish drawer fronts the same time as I finish the carcass.
    "A hen is only an egg's way of making another egg".

– Samuel Butler

I like to finish the insides just short of the tails and pins. It's just easier to sand and finish beforehand (and avoids dealing with dried glue squeezeout). But I leave the outsides unfinished. I plane and sand the outsides (read, fill in all my gaps with sawdust...) so prefinishing the outside is a pain since it means masking.

Definitely shellac if it is a clothing drawer. Oil base finishes will transfer an odor to clothing stored in a drawer.
    David

Blog Entries
    I finish drawers inside and out with Clear brushing lacquer. It has never left any odor on any item placed in the drawer as long as the finish is cured for several days at the proper temperature before use.
    Lee Schierer
    USNA '71
    Go Navy!

My advice, comments and suggestions are free, but it costs money to run the site. If you found something of value here please give a little something back by becoming a contributor! Please Contribute