Thread: Stanley 46

Stanley 46

I just purchased a Stanley 46 plane with all of its parts, but missing some cutters. I intend to buy a set a cutters from SJB, but I was wondering why this plane seems to be rarer than a lot of others. I can't find much information online about them. They seem to be a good plane, but not used too often.

Blog Entries
    Howdy Keith, see you have been around awhile before your first post. Welcome to the Creek.

The #46 didn't have the blade selection of the flashier #45. It was never equipped with a blade adjuster. The #45 had a blade adjuster added in 1893. These were likely selling points for people buying a combination plane at the time.

jtk
    "A pessimist sees the difficulty in every opportunity; an optimist sees the opportunity in every difficulty."
    - Sir Winston Churchill (1874-1965)

Thanks. It looks like a good plane, and I think the skewed cutter should help with a smoother cut...at least I hope so.

Keith,

They are a good plane, and I have a complete #46 (also have 3 or 4 #45's). But, when I could use the plane, it somehow just doesn't resonate in my thinking! A skewed plane is nice to use (I have several #49's and a newish LV that are used).

I'll never sell it, as when I have more time on my hands, I intend to become more familiar with the use of certain vintage tools, instead of just accumulating them.
    If the thunder don't get you, the lightning will.

I have a #46 as well and need to buy a set of cutters. The one cutter I have works very well. I have a couple #45's as well, also lacking cutters, and find the utility of the skewed cutter on the #46 to be a real plus. Actually thinking about moving the #45's out to finance some #46 cutters.
    Sharp solves all manner of problems.

This is my only plow plane, so I intend to make it work well, if I can. At least that is my plan. I hope my expectations aren't too out of line.

Prince Edward Island, Canada's Ocean Playground
    Keith,

The venerable 46 is a good plane for what it is, but the blades can be hard to find unless you want to buy new ones, and the set-up and adjustment takes some getting used to.

Like all plows, they work best with straight grain and not particularly hard woods, cherry and walnut work great. Good for making dado cuts if you like the hand tool method.

I had one for years that I used with a set of new blades (in addition to the original blade set that are worth more than the plane) but recently sold it to a collector.

I am going to replace it with some newer Veritas planes, as they have surgical adjustment capabilities that are so much easier to use, and come in left and right hand variants to favor grain variation.

I suggest that you try the Veritas plows/skews after you try out your 46 but before you sink a lot of money into blades for it.

Have fun making lots of spiral shavings.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC] Erik

Canada's Atlantic Paradise - Prince Edward Island