Thread: Some questions about using WTF

Some questions about using WTF

I'm talking about the finish coating not the exclamation for an unexpected or unfortunate event.

I found some WTF in my finishing supplies recently, forgot I had it. Never did much with it after I got it because I prefer to spray my finish if I don't do an oil finish. Decided to try it on a small piece I was messing with so I applied 6 or 7 coats. Used a makeup sponge to apply, tried to keep it smooth while applying. Sanded lightly around coat 4, then applied the final coats. Left it overnight to harden. Leveled it the next day but managed to sand through it in a couple of spots and decided not to fix it. Buffed it out and called it quits.

So for those of you who use it routinely please advise on the following:

How many coats are typically applied to be able to safely level the surface?

Do you apply carefully or just slop it on to level later?

Do you do any sanding between coats?

Do you use a sealer?

I try to apply using old tee shirt material as smoothly as possible. Sand lightly after first coat to take care of raised grain. When dry to touch I apply multiple coats. flatten sand if needed, then apply multi coats to obtain thick finish. Let stand for a day our more. Sand to flatten and buff if all looks good. This finish dries very quickly and does not flatten on it's own. I like to use it were I do not want any color change. Allan
    C&C WELCOME

Bill, I do use a sealer when I apply WTF only so that I can start building the finish faster. I apply it in very thin coats using a single fold piece of the blue shop towels. After the third coat I knock it down with some 220 then continue with the finish and repeat the 3 coat sanding regimen if needed. I haven't found a typical number of coats needed for a piece. I've found that each piece is different. Also, if you prefer to spray your finishes there is a tutorial here someplace, forgot who posted it, about spraying WTF.
    Tony

"Soldier On"

I am not sure what "WTF" stands for in this context but in many places it represents a phrase that would not normally be said around children or in mixed company.

5. Quote Originally Posted by Art Mann View Post
    I am not sure what "WTF" stands for in this context but in many places it represents a phrase that would not normally be said around children or in mixed company.
    WTF - has on this forum and other woodworking forums meant Wood Turners Finish .......it is a finish developed by General Finishes, and is appropriate as an acronym for the three worded title of this product.

Remember, in a moments time, everything can change!

Vision - not just seeing what is, but seeing what can be!

Quote Originally Posted by Roger Chandler View Post
    WTF - has on this forum and other woodworking forums meant Wood Turners Finish .......it is a finish developed by General Finishes, and is appropriate as an acronym for the three worded title of this product.

Thanks for the explanation.

Thanks Roger, I made an assumption

Found this. Maybe it will help if you want to spray.

http://www.sawmillcreek.org/showthre...2-Spraying-WTF
    Tony

"Soldier On"

Thanks Tony, picked up a few tips about the followup to spraying. But honestly I'm not seeing much of advantage (in my situation) to using it vs continue using WB (water based) lacquer.

I've used this on a few pepper mills and any bowls that will be used for food. I normally use lacquer on other pieces because it rubs out so nicely, but it's softer, and I worry about oily foods dissolving the lacquer. The WTF has been very durable. It dries really fast, which is nice, but the coats are very thin. I usually put on a bunch of coats with a clean paper towel. I do 2-3 coats, sand very lightly with 220/400, several more (5+), let it dry overnight, and then sand with 1500/200 then polish. You can get a very glossy sheen from it.

I've had trouble applying it over an oil, so I use shellac in between oil and WTF now. And I have had some ghosting if you sand through one layer unevenly. The trick is a light hand. I intend to try spraying with an airbrush at some point.
    Where did I put that?

Yep Rob, I suspect next time I will try it with the airbrush as well since I still have plenty of it.