Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Source for Alaskan Yellow Cedar NJ/PA

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Joseph Doyle View Post
    Brian,

Google Medford Cedar in Southampton, NJ. I purchased some AYC a few years ago go build a surfboard with, and they were able to get me what I wanted fairly quickly.

Good luck.
    Joe
    Thank you both!
    Bumbling forward into the unknown.

Blog Entries
    I searched high and low and finally found a good supplier.

Bringing some AYC home from Boro Sawmill in Wayne, NJ today. Very good people and a wonderful product. I was lucky to stumble upon these guys and while they are geared toward commercial clients they were kind enough to make an exception for me.

Probably the robe and slippers that caused the exception. I know I would.

Quote Originally Posted by Brian Holcombe View Post
    I searched high and low and finally found a good supplier.

Bringing some AYC home from Boro Sawmill in Wayne, NJ today. Very good people and a wonderful product. I was lucky to stumble upon these guys and while they are geared toward commercial clients they were kind enough to make an exception for me.
    Hey Brian: Glad to hear that you worked it out - I'm in North Jersey myself and one of my largest struggles is finding lumber at any kind of decent price (needless to say, I don't have a favorite lumber yard). Between Jefferson Lumber and Morristown Lumber, you can get almost anything but the pricing is ridiculous; especially when purchasing anything over 3/4-4/4.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Phil Mueller View Post
    Probably the robe and slippers that caused the exception. I know I would.
    Some things are just unforgettable

Quote Originally Posted by John Kananis View Post
    Hey Brian: Glad to hear that you worked it out - I'm in North Jersey myself and one of my largest struggles is finding lumber at any kind of decent price (needless to say, I don't have a favorite lumber yard). Between Jefferson Lumber and Morristown Lumber, you can get almost anything but the pricing is ridiculous; especially when purchasing anything over 3/4-4/4.
    AYC is basically quality hardwood pricing but it's a softwood. That being said I think they are quite reasonable especially so considering that everyone else who 'carried' it had a box of parts in AYC and basically told me that everything comes through knotty...which was a non-starter. These guys provided some top grade stuff, even a few pieces VG oriented and basically all completely clear, I was shocked especially so given the trouble of finding it.

I've seen a board or two of Alaskan Yellow at Hearne. Its worth a call to Brian to see if they have any in stock.

Quote Originally Posted by Brian Holcombe View Post
    AYC seems to be held up as a very good soft wood to use for architectural work but also seems to be a rare item at most yards.
    I guess it's not just rare where you are. I don't remember seeing it my local wood monger.
    Brett
    Peters Creek, Alaska

Man is a tool-using animal. Nowhere do you find him without tools; without tools he is nothing, with tools he is all. — Thomas Carlyle (1795-1881)

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by peter Joseph View Post
    I've seen a board or two of Alaskan Yellow at Hearne. Its worth a call to Brian to see if they have any in stock.
    I believe they are even further from me. I'm pretty happy with the quality these guys are providing.

This piece isn't VG, but so far it's planing well.

I never saw a AYC tree in 6 years of being in Alaska. All the cedar trees,most of which were huge(several feet in diameter),were of brown cedar.). I certainly helped fell plenty of it,and dynamite those 10' diameter stumps into more manageable size pieces for pulling with a stump puller we made.

I have heard of native bows made of AYC,and wished I had had some of it myself.

HOW ABOUT A BETTER PICTURE of your plank? I'd like to see the grain better.

Blog Entries
    I'll post up some of my stash tomorrow, it was impossible to buy just one.

So far i havent bested my number in mahogany but it smells much nicer getting there.

Brian:

It has been a while since I bought any in bulk, and don't have the names of the lumberyards in my rolodex right now, but can get some if you need them. In any case, most any large lumber purveyor from Seattle North to BC and all of Vancouver Island will stock AYC. POC is harder to find, but is out there, mostly in Southwestern Oregon.

Stan

Blog Entries
    Thank you Stan!

POC seems to be pretty impossible in the last few years. Two local yards used to stock it in 4 x 4 form and now neither do and both are without plans to try and do so.

This stuff is pretty nice, I could see using a lot more of this and a lot less of other things. I found a source of Honduran mahogany recently and I'll probably move to this cedar for any projects I would have considered doing in Honduran mahogany. They both plane nicely but the mahogany is a really dusty wood which has been reeking havoc on my sinuses but the AYC is nice and clean as it planes.

I have four 2.5" thick by 12" wide by 4' long boards of AYC. I have yet to touch them as there just isn't enough there for what I want to do with it. I have been on the search for a decent source of this stuff as well with very little luck. I would love to find a source that might be willing to ship to Maine but I know that can be very difficult. Thankfully I have some good access to clear white pine up here in Maine to satisfy my urge to work some nice soft woods. I will say that our pine smells slightly more appealing than the AYC but I love the idea of the rot resistance of AYC. Plus AYC planes up so beautifully.

A house over in Southwest Harbor that I wired up ended up using AYC to shingle the entire place. It was a 10,000 sq. ft house and used an absolute metric ton of AYC shingles to side the whole place. All the interior trim was done in Hounduran Mahogany and 2 of the rooms in QS white oak. Every piece of Honduran Mahogany had a crew come in and take chains, hammers, nails, etc, to the surface to make it look stressed then painted over every bit of it. All the exterior AYC shingles were stained with a bright blue stain with zero thought of the fact they could have used eastern white cedar shingles locally from Maine for a tenth of the price. There was no one on this entire job site that thought twice about covering up these beautiful wood species and that stressed me out.

Madness!!!!!!

Blog Entries
    George, I've got a few more shots on this blog post about the competition.

https://brianholcombewoodworker.com/...roaching-zero/