Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Hancock Shaker Workbench

Hancock Shaker Workbench

Has anyone seen plans for this type of bench, including a cut list? I've searched the archives here and couldn't find one. I did find Benchcrafts "plans", but they don't have a systematic cut list. I've also looked at books that cover this bench, but again, no plans with cut lists.

Kent, Scott Landis' "The Workbench Book" has a chapter devoted to the Hancock bench, complete with semi-dimensioned drawings, although the dimensioning scheme leaves a lot to be desired. A lot of the construction details are assumed since disassembly of the bench to generate a cut list is out of the question. As with any bench project, you'll have to size it to fit you, your shop, how you work, then create your own cut list. That's part of the project.

Quote Originally Posted by Tom Vanzant View Post
    A lot of the construction details are assumed since disassembly of the bench to generate a cut list is out of the question
    Sounds like a business opportunity for someone

I don't think the good folks at Hancock would agree.

Fine woodworking has an article in the current Tools and Shop addition that just hit the news stand. Popular woodworking also has plans for a similar work bench.
    Last edited by Jim McGee; 11-02-2015 at 4:47 PM.

Look at Benchcrafted site, they have a set of plans for a Shaker bench.

Thanks Jim. Got my copy today and will look through it.

Thanks Roger, I found them.

Very nice bench, but not one designed to accommodate hold fasts in the top which I recall you asking about in another thread. Note no hold fast holes in the bench top, and no clearance for the post of the hold fast to protrude below the bench. With a little planning you could incorporate holdfasts - some do it by shrinking the size of the tool cabinet. For the Gramercy holdfasts, you need to allow ~9" of clearance from the top of your bench to the bottom of the post. Of course you have plenty of other work holding options besides holdfasts, but if you are going to use those in a Shaker-style bench you might need to make some adjustments to the plans. All this said, that style bench is very appealing.

Thanks Joe for the heads up on that. That's a point I hadn't considered as of yet but something I need to look into as well as the alternative methods beyond holdfasts.

If someone can find online Fine Woodworking Sept/Oct 1993 there is an article called 'Workbenches in the Shaker Tradition' by Steven Thomas Bunn in it he builds for Thomas Moser a bench based on the Hancock bench. While not a cut list he does dimension most if not all the construction. Worth the search to find it, the one I found had essential pages with held for some reason. I could scan and share privately as long as I'm not overwhelmed.
    Jim
    Ancora Yacht Service

Thanks Jim for the offer. I just ordered the Benchcrafted plans. I think it will have everything I'm looking for including cut lists.

Quote Originally Posted by Kent Adams View Post
    no plans with cut lists.
    Fair warning: cutlists can be dangerous. They can be wrong and they invite you to start the project before you understand the build (or else you could make your own cutlist. DAMHIKT.
    AKA - "The human termite"

Quote Originally Posted by Chuck Nickerson View Post
    Fair warning: cutlists can be dangerous. They can be wrong and they invite you to start the project before you understand the build (or else you could make your own cutlist. DAMHIKT.
    I read your comment at first like this: "fair warning: cultists can be dangerous"