Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Earthquake Insurance

Earthquake Insurance

Any one here have it? I've had earthquake coverage for a while. My house has a big glass window wall so that's the main worry. The deductible is $30,000 so it seems like a waste of money. I pay 60% more a year to for it.
    "Whether you think you can, or you think you can’t - you’re right."
    - Henry Ford

That is why I don't have it: high deductible. It almost doesn't make it worth it. Besides, if the big one does hit and nukes my house, I bet a fire might consume it...and that is covered.
    Wood: a fickle medium....

Did you know SMC is user supported? Please help.

I have it but it is only about 20% of my cost per year. I figure if my house was off the foundation and I had to rebuild it would take all my savings and living on a fixed income no way to replenish it, so worth it to me. If the house was not paid for I might think twice .
    Sometimes we see what we expect to see, and not what we are looking at! Scott

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Chris Padilla View Post
    That is why I don't have it: high deductible. It almost doesn't make it worth it. Besides, if the big one does hit and nukes my house, I bet a fire might consume it...and that is covered.

You will want to check that very carefully. If the fire is caused by the earthquake, it may not be covered. Damaged drywall and insulation is not covered if caused by flooding in the absence of flood insurance for example. Get a very specific answer from your agent, preferably in writing.
    "A hen is only an egg's way of making another egg".

– Samuel Butler

The high deductible is what keeps me from buying it. Most modern 1 and even 2 story buildings should survive the quake without totally collapsing. The biggest risk would be enough shaking to break all the windows. I figure that the windows could be replaced for less than the cost of the deductible.

To me, it seems like a total scam by the insurance agency. They are required to offer it in California, but they make it so restrictive that it seems like they never pay out.

Steve

Quote Originally Posted by Steve Peterson View Post
    The high deductible is what keeps me from buying it. Most modern 1 and even 2 story buildings should survive the quake without totally collapsing. The biggest risk would be enough shaking to break all the windows. I figure that the windows could be replaced for less than the cost of the deductible.

To me, it seems like a total scam by the insurance agency. They are required to offer it in California, but they make it so restrictive that it seems like they never pay out.

Steve
    Exactly. The deductible is so high that I really wonder if I would even come close to it so I've yet to have any EQ insurance.

Quote Originally Posted by glenn bradley View Post
    You will want to check that very carefully. If the fire is caused by the earthquake, it may not be covered. Damaged drywall and insulation is not covered if caused by flooding in the absence of flood insurance for example. Get a very specific answer from your agent, preferably in writing.
    If a fire is caused by the earthquake, I am covered. I most certainly checked it.
    Wood: a fickle medium....

Did you know SMC is user supported? Please help.

I have it. We have a 2 story brick house that is 125 years old. Mine has the crazy high deductible, too.

John

In New Orleans after Katrina a lot of homes "caught" fire because the owners had fire insurance but not flood insurance. Some of the homes were torched by looters so just because the fire was arson did not prove that the owners set it. But the insurance companies resisted paying for fire loss after the flood.

Mike
    Go into the world and do well. But more importantly, go into the world and do good.

Funny how this subject came up today as we had 2 earthquakes last night epic center my back yard LOL Lucky they were small 4.1 but gives you a good shake for sure. I don't have Ins for it either.
    If the Help and advice you received here was of any VALUE to you PLEASE! Become a Contributor
    Rabbit RL_XX_6040-60 watt Laser engraving/cutting machine Oh wait its a 3D Printer my bad LOL
    Lasercut 5.3
    CorelDraw X5

10" Miter Saw with slide
    10" Table Saw
    8" bench mount 5 speed Drill Press
    Dremel, 3x21 Belt Sander

Quote Originally Posted by Scott Donley View Post
    I have it but it is only about 20% of my cost per year. I figure if my house was off the foundation and I had to rebuild it would take all my savings and living on a fixed income no way to replenish it, so worth it to me. If the house was not paid for I might think twice .
    That's odd Scott if you live in University Place, WA that's a zone 3 like Portland OR. I'm in a zone 2B so it's not as bad for predicted damages as zone 3.
    60% more for me is only $155 year.
    Quote Originally Posted by Steve Peterson View Post

Steve
    I tend to agree Scott. I built my house to code in 2002. It's 35'x35'x 30' high all open no rooms just lofts so I had to pay an engineer to draw the details. It's sort of a post and beam but welded steel. I built the 30'x25'window wall for $8k in materials but had a bid for $32k from a window company. I could do all the windows for less than 30K today, I think. I'd have to rent a big man lift and after an earthquake the waiting list would be long!

I bet bids in a worse case for me would be-
    All windows replaced 45k. All the welds need to be exposed and inspected 3k. If rewelded 20K. The polished concrete floor may crack, to replace it now all lofts would have to come out 50k. The city may require permits 3 to 5K.
    Last edited by Andrew Joiner; 11-03-2015 at 12:27 PM.
    "Whether you think you can, or you think you can’t - you’re right."
    - Henry Ford

I gave it up. I may be wrong, but, as I read the policy there is an immediate 20% deductible, and then after that, comes a list of what is not covered anyway. Things like block walls, masonry (so long brick fireplace) which may or may not include the stucco walls. These are the things that are usually damaged in a quake, so I will have to take a chance.

The people I feel sorry for are the ones we see with regularity on the news, who don't even know they live in a flood plain until it happens.

What really gets to me are the new insurance policies being written which recently changed my deductible from $1000 to 10%, which in my case is almost $7000. This is from State Farm, but I am told it is the up and coming 'new normal'. Of course, this pretty much eliminates all claims which are less than catastrophic.
    Last edited by Rick Potter; 11-03-2015 at 1:59 PM.
    Rick Potter

DIY journeyman,
    FWW wannabe.
    AKA Village Idiot.

Quote Originally Posted by Rick Potter View Post
    Of course, this pretty much eliminates all claims which are less than catastrophic.
    Properly used, insurance only covers the catastrophic. I have the highest deductibles I can get on everything. (Except health insurance where I have a platinum plane. Unless you have no medical issues at all, the cheaper plans end up being more expensive. Go figure)

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Chris Padilla View Post
    If a fire is caused by the earthquake, I am covered. I most certainly checked it.
    Excellent. Too many folks assume and end up sorry.
    "A hen is only an egg's way of making another egg".

– Samuel Butler

We moved to the Bay Area a couple years ago. I considered earthquake insurance at the time and due to the 20% deductible and ~2.5x premium multiplier decided to take the risk without it. When the Napa quake hit a few months ago I started reconsidering, as we live a few hundred yards from the Calaveras fault. I came to the same conclusion. If the big one hits and totals my house, it will be devastating. I don't know if I would be able to afford to rebuild, if so, it would significantly affect my savings. That being said, I still think I'm better off saving the money. And yes, I am covered in case of a fire following an earthquake.

Quote Originally Posted by Rick Potter View Post
    What really gets to me are the new insurance policies being written which recently changed my deductible from $1000 to 10%, which in my case is almost $7000. This is from State Farm, but I am told it is the up and coming 'new normal'. Of course, this pretty much eliminates all claims which are less than catastrophic.
    Isn't protection from catastrophic loss the primary purpose of homeowners insurance? I don't really see the point of insuring minor expenses. I can afford the $100 cost of a tow truck and don't want to be charged $12 every 6 months for towing insurance. However, 10% of the value of a home seems excessive. Are you saying that the deductible for a $1M house would be $100K? That is high enough that many people may decide to walk away from the house rather than be bankrupted by it.

Steve