Thread: Multiple coats of Transtint Dyes

Multiple coats of Transtint Dyes

I am sure this has been discussed before, but I can't find it.

I am doing my first Transtint Dye experiment on curly maple. I applied a wash coat of black and sanded most of it away. I want to build up color coats now.

Should I put anything between the layers? Dewaxed Shellac, WTF, Lacquer spray, or nothing. I do know I can add color to the finish coats to.

Thanks in advance.
    Veni Vidi Vendi Vente! I came, I saw, I bought a large coffee!

I think that if you put anything on between layers - you've sealed the wood and no more dye will penetrate.

maybe you could dye an area - then put a layer of shellac (or etc) to "mask" that area off from other dyes...

Brian - a few years ago I posted about how I dyed forms. Not sure if you can gain anything from them but here are the links:
    Hollow Form Color Experiment
    Finished Product of HF Color-Experiment

I still have this hollow form and the color today is just as vivid as when it was created! Have fun and be sure to post your results!
    Steve

“You never know what you got til it's gone!”
    Please don’t let that happen!
    Become a financial Contributor today!

Steve's piece came out very nice. I would suggest trying sanding 80-90% of a given color before adding another. You get a more exaggerated pattern of dyes. This is a procedure that cries out for more experimentation--I an always surprised at the results.

I made a color board from a 10" x 24" piece of fiddled maple. Dyed four 2 1/2" wide strips in black,red,yellow and blue. Then I applied the same colores down across the horizontal colorers. It gave me a good chart of what dyes look like when one color is applied over another. Any bleeding over a line just gives some indication of three would look like. I did sand some of the black layer before applying others over it.
    Member Illiana Woodturners

Yes Steve Schlumpf, that helps very much!
    Veni Vidi Vendi Vente! I came, I saw, I bought a large coffee!