Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Aches and Pains

Back before my father retired the greenhouse business the next door neighbor came over and said boy you won't be doing all that work and getting around like you do when you get to my age. My dad asked him how old he was and he said 62 my dad came back and said I'm 64 and he was. I used to do trade shows and some of the young guys couldn't keep up with me and they would ask how old I was. At that time I was only 62

You guys made me laugh.

It hurt.
    Rick Potter

DIY journeyman,
    FWW wannabe.
    AKA Village Idiot.

Knock on wood, all my aches and pains are soft-tissue related able to be managed with stretching, chiro visits, etc. When I was in my 20's, I spent 8-10 hrs a day on my feet, on a cement floor. Don't remember it ever bothering me. Now, 20 years later, I am in substantially better physical shape when I was younger but doing a trade show like Vegas or Atlanta, where you are on your feet again for 8-10 hrs., my feet and lower back really start to ache by the end of each day. So, even though I am in better overall shape now, I was in better "standing" shape back then. One of my colleagues at the gym says, "The body becomes its function" and that you just have to manage that.

Erik
    Ex-SCM and Felder rep

I know when I get up in the morning I have to stand for about 20 seconds to make sure I can walk without pain, I know when my yard needs mowing I think about it for a couple days first, I know when I go to my gun club I no longer take a rifle but take a couple pistols instead because walking 30 or 50 yards to change a target is a whole lot easier than walking 200/ 400/600 yards. I am only in my mid 60's. How did this happen
    Sometimes we see what we expect to see, and not what we are looking at! Scott

Blog Entries
    Most of my aches and pains are just reminders of my rough and tumble youth.

Some of them have been with me for nigh on 60 years.

All the fun is catching up with me.

jtk
    "A pessimist sees the difficulty in every opportunity; an optimist sees the opportunity in every difficulty."
    - Sir Winston Churchill (1874-1965)

Myself, I get outta bed in the AM and have to stand there for several seconds until my ankles "crack" back into place.
    Then I mosey around for several minutes and am good to go for the whole day. But, I HATE going down a stairway, that hurts!

OTOH------I sure do miss my eyesight! Can't see or read a thing without +2 reading glasses.

Bruce
    Epilog TT 35W, 2 LMI SE225CV's
    CorelDraw 4 through 11
    CarveWright
    paper and pencils

Of all the things that I have lost as I get older, I miss my mine the most.
    Joe

I wonder how many of us older folks stay awake at night with pain and aches?

I have lots of aches and pain and suffer with chronic pain. I am not alone as many live with pain. I am so fortunate to have found some excellent doctors. I see a pain management doctor once a month who is great and helps me deal with issues like sleeping at night. I have my worst days if I do not sleep the night before.

Blog Entries
    Well I guess I'm one of the lucky ones. I'm 72 and feel fine. I think you need to do a few things to prepare for aging: exercise (for the last 30 years I've walked 4 miles a day, used to run it ), weight( got to keep it down), activity (need to keep body and MIND active, having filled both houses with furniture I've taken to making toy trucks & cars for my grandchildren, believe it or not they are more complicated than the furniture I made, keeps the mind working). There is always an excuse not to exercise (too busy, I did it yesterday , I'll do it tomorrow) and there is always a reason to eat that last donut (I didn't have one yesterday, I won't have one tomorrow, I'll do on a diet after this)
    Dennis

Quote Originally Posted by Ken Fitzgerald View Post
    The one in the Army deployed to Kuwait 2 weeks ago today. Please keep those who serve in our military in your thoughts and prayers!
    Been there. Camp Buehring is about as desolate as it gets. Hopefully he's in Arafjan or down at the Kuwaiti Naval Base where there are 2 pools and some green plants.
    -Lud

I feel better. I thought it was only me.