Thread: Knife Sharpening Question

Knife Sharpening Question

My kitchen knives need sharpened. While they aren't top end they are all I've got and they need help. What does everybody use to sharpen their knives? Does anybody use the Worksharp Ken Onion sharpener and what are your thoughts on that?
    Andy Kertesz

" Impaled on nails of ice, raked by emerald fire"...... King Crimson '71

I use a three sided oil stone for straight bladed knives. I used to have Lansky type of system that I found to be pretty good for getting a repeatable edge. Either method works just fine, then you can use a sharpening steel occasionally to help keep that edge.

I use an AccuSharp sharpener. Just a couple stokes and you are good to go. I buy knives from thrift store to use at BBQ's for peeling potatoes. Works especially well on SS knives. It uses a couple of carbide burrs to do sharpening. They can be reversed when they become dull. Costs $10-$15 depending upon source. They also make a shears / scissors sharpener. Lowes sells the Smith sharpener which works on same principal, but include ceramic rods for stopping cutting edge.

Blog Entries
    Lansky. Inexpensive and pretty versatile.
    "A hen is only an egg's way of making another egg".

– Samuel Butler

I have used numerous methods over the years. There have also been some other discussions (for example: http://www.sawmillcreek.org/showthre...ife-sharpening)

I own a Tormek, and it worked with the Knife Jig, but, I did not just set it up, use it, and dance for joy at the ease.

Next, I used Water Stones after watching a bunch of YouTube videos on how to do it (and I had a long conversation with another member here that imparted much knowledge on how to do this). I was very pleased with the results and I was shaving tomatoes.

Many people love the machines where you just pull the knife through them (and they are plugged in). Another member was concerned that this would leave a metal burr that could come off into your food. I can't comment on that, but, a paranoid person would "steel" their knives after using one if this is a concern.

My favorite method is to use the Worksharp knife sharpening machine

http://www.amazon.com/Work-Sharp-WSK...F14/ref=sr_1_1

Works really well.

After that, I keep them sharp using a honing steel. Just so we are clear, a honing steel does not sharpen really, the primary purpose is to straighten the slightly bent sharp edge. And yes, it makes a huge difference and you can keep that knife sharp for a long time without a regular sharpening.

I own two honing steels. I don't remember the brand off hand, but one was listed as finer than the other. I purposely chose 12" models so that they would work well with my larger kitchen knives.

I also purchased two diamond coated honing steels. If I am in a hurry, the diamond versions will quickly bring back a dull edge that is too far gone for the steel. I have a 25 micron (http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00004WFSY) and a 6 micron (http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00009YV7S).

DMT is a good brand, but there are others. I hear that the MesserMeister is good but I have not tried it. Off hand, I could probably get buy easily with a single steel and a single diamond. I would probably choose the fine steel and the 25 micron diamond given how I usually use them.

If you wander south to Columbus (I see you are in Toledo), bring your knives with you and we can sharpen them up so you can test some of the items that I have.

Andrew
    I too have a bunch of inexpensive knives that were going dull. I purchased the ken onion a few months ago. set to work for 2 hours and sharpened 15 to 20 knives. it was easy and my wife really appreciated it. Worth the money just making her happy. I have no experience prior to this and sharpened everything from pocket knife to serrated knife. Some of them had not been sharpened for 15 years. each one could cut paper when done.
    I think it was worth it.

I keep a two-sided (medium/fine) DMT diamond "stone" in my knife drawer and touch up my knife blades about every third time I pull them out to use them (usually 1-2 passes on the fine side is all it takes). If you don't let them get dull they are very easy to keep sharp. Most of the machines I've seen are way too aggressive about removing metal. They have some use if you have a very abused blade to bring back. If I get one that needs a lot of work I'll usually take it out to the shop and use my motorized wet grinder on it.

Former professional chef here, trained to sharpen knives with a sushi chef, my perspective may be different. I use mostly Japanese water stones though I have recently aquired several DMT diamond stones I like. Water stones need maintenance, so you need stones to flatten your stones. I use no guides, no jigs and no gimics. Just a simple forward and back stroke holding the knife skewed at about 30 degrees to the stone and the correct angle above it for the knife in question. It takes a little time to master the technique but it's IMO worth it because yiu are then liberated and informed to sharpen anything.

on the knives thing.....life is too short to use bad knives. Good steel sharpens easily and holds a keen edge for a long time. Stainless steel is brutal to get truly sharp, it always behaves like a serrated knife. I'd rather have one good chefs knife and a slicer than a drawer full of junk. When you have used a truly sharp tool it's difficult to imagine using anything less, and IME none of the jigs and gimics give you the keen edge I prefer. On a German chefs knife you can also use different included angles at the front and heel for slicing and chopping if required. Different parts of the knife perform different functions and require a different angle.
    "A good miter set up is like yoga pants: it makes everyone's butts look good." Prashun Patel

Our general use kitchen knives are sharpened on the Makita horizontal water sharpener, touched up with a diamond "steel", and honed when needed on my Wusthof steel.
    MY chefs knives are Wusthof Tridents, and NOBODY touches them but me. I use water stones and the Wusthof steel for them.
    Remember that knives are not sharpened in the same manner as chisels and plane irons, and the proper grip on the knife is important.
    Bill
    On the other hand, I still have five fingers.

Work Sharp knife sharpener. No question. Even an idiot (me) can produce razor sharp knives. I sharpen all my knives about twice a year.

I mostly just hone on a fine DiaSharp stone and use a steel but if a knife's been damaged, really dull or I want to change a new knife to 15 degrees I use a Chef's Choice Trizor sharpener. It's $30 more than the workshop but it has much better blade guides, diamond abrasives and no belts to change or replace.
    Last edited by Bill Graham; 11-03-2015 at 6:23 PM.

Another vote for the Worksharp. I have cheap knives, very expensive knives and in between knives and it sharpens them all quickly and easily.