Thread: local turners or clubs in Midland MI area.

local turners or clubs in Midland MI area.

I would like to meet up with a local turner or club somewhere in michigan as close to possible to midland, to get some pointers and advise on how to improve my turner I have been doing it for a few years but sporadically I just bought a better lathe and want to get better.

There are woodturning clubs in Grand Rapids,Traverse city,Holly,and Pontiac that I am aware of.

Cody, the AAW has a listing of all of their chapters in Michigan. Hope this helps.
    Steve

“You never know what you got til it's gone!”
    Please don’t let that happen!
    Become a financial Contributor today!

Thanks the closest I could find on there is at least 1.5 hrs away. I was hoping for something closer

You may be able to find a club member and/or mentor who lives closer to you than where the club meets. It doesn't hurt to contact the club. Some times it is really worth it for the time spend traveling to a demo, unless you can't drive at night. Depends on the demo.

robo hippy

Maker of Fine Kindling, and small metal chips on the floor.
    Embellishments to the Stars - or wannabees.

Cody, I'm a wood turner in Midland Mi. You're right, the nearest AAW chapter is a long drive away. I belong to the Midland Woodworkers' Association. Mark linked to our website in his post above. I suggest you stop in to one of our monthly meetings. We're a more general woodworking group, but many of the members are turners. We can probably hook you up with some one on one instruction. And we have a library with turning videos by Bill Grumbine and Lyle Orr that are good reference material for beginners. Next meeting is Tuesday, 11/17 at 7pm in Homer Township hall. Send me your email address by PM and I can have you added to the distribution list for meeting notices.