Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Kitchen cabinet issue!

Kitchen cabinet issue!

I am in the process of painting my kitchen cabinets. They were hand made in cherry by a cabinet maker who may have been... New
    Many of the stiles have jagged cut marks - almost like a stair support. The little triangle jagged cuts are against the inset panel. This wasnt too obvious stained, but it stands out quite a bit with primer. Caulk would fix the problem - but I'm pretty sure this joint is supposed to be free. I may be able to shove paper into the crack, flat against the panel, fill the gouges with wood filler and remove the paper. I have primed with oil based primer and will use oil based paint.
    Maybe I should just embrace the quirky ratty edge appreciate that everyone has to start somewhere. Although - my shop instructor would have made me start over!

Can you post a picture? That would be very helpful.

And yes the panel is not supposed to be glued in the frame to allow for wood movement, so caulk would only make things worse.

Caulking should be fine, just make sure you use one that's paintable and permanently flexible...meaning 100% silicone. It will allow the minimal movement the panel will have to happen without problems. Also if I'm reading your post correctly and your panels are flat, it's most likely not solid wood anyway….so no movement to worry about.

I'm surprised you can even find an oil based paint anymore! Most companies I see around here have dropped it altogether. I'm not a huge fan of oil based in this type of application. I would go with a good quality water based material instead. Just my opinion though….hate waiting for oil based to dry!

good luck,
    JeffD

Quote Originally Posted by Kat Croxton View Post
    I am in the process of painting my kitchen cabinets. They were hand made in cherry...... I have primed with oil based primer and will use oil based paint.
    Maybe I should just embrace the quirky ratty edge appreciate that everyone has to start somewhere. Although - my shop instructor would have made me start over!
    Just curious but why are you painting cherry wood????
    Only one life will soon be past
    Only whats done for Christ will last

Those jagged cut marks come from going against the grain and could have been minimized by pre-scoring the groove. Usually one side of the groove is the better one, any chance you can flip the door? Shaker style door could work both ways and if you are painting then filling screw holes could be easier.

Quote Originally Posted by Jesse Busenitz View Post
    Just curious but why are you painting cherry wood????
    +1

I wouldn't paint cherry. Cherry is too beautiful to paint over.

I am trying to figure out how to load photos - I will switch to my desk top. Why am I painting cherry? My kitchen is land locked. Three doorways to various rooms, one window to an Arizona room. Dark travertine backsplash all over - which we have just about totally removed. Lots of jaguar granite. Dark chamois walls and ceiling. The idiot who selected the materials had more money than sense. The kitchen was a cave. Lots of recessed lighting - but you would need to leave the lights on all day or walk thru a cave all day. Over four years we painted the ceiling white, added a solatube, and removed a builtin desk - including its uppers and granite top. Still a cave. I gave this a lot of thought. I painted the walk in pantry first and the difference was amazing. I have only done the uppers so far. I'm going to give the cherry lowers a chance while I have a break from painting the uppers. Two tone seems to be trendy.
    I always paint cabinets with oil based paint. It takes forever but I think its worth the effort. Latex on woodwork doesnt look anything like oil. I would rather have the cherry cave than latex on my cabinets. Embrace the drying time!
    The doors are solid cherry. You can see its the same piece of wood when you open the doors. I cant flip them, they are flat on the inside with big hinge holes. I know, I'm crazy. But I have a brighter kitchen.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Wow - there the pictures are! The first is of the same marks on my non cherry laundry room cabinets. The second is one of my lower doors.

I just use a white wood filler and a light sand some rubber profile sandpaper holders help. Yes you can use acrylic caulk not silicone ! as it will move enough and there are many varieties that are paintable that remain flexible but I wouldn't caulk really just a small set of putty knifes some patience and wood filler.

Thank you - I will give this a try.

Ouch! painting that beautiful Cherry!

I can't bring myself to advise someone on how to paint cherry white. Nothing good comes of that.

Sorry.

I would be tempted to remove the cherry doors and use them elsewhere in the house & make replacement pine?mdf? ply? door and paint them
    Be the kind of woman that when your feet hit the ground each morning, the devil says, "oh crap she's up!"

Tolerance is giving every other human being every right that you claim for yourself.

"What is man without the beasts? If all the beasts are gone, men would die from great loneliness of spirit. For whatever happens to the beasts will happen to man. All things are connected. " Chief Seattle Duwamish Tribe

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Jeff Duncan View Post
    Caulking should be fine, just make sure you use one that's paintable and permanently flexible...meaning 100% silicone.good luck,
    JeffD
    100% silicone and paintable in the same sentence? Is there really such a thing?
    NOW you tell me...

I'm thinking Bondo and make a profile scraper.... nah, probably too much work.

I would be tempted to just leave it especially the one in the laundry room.

I would not use caulk. Nothing like this I've ever tried to caulk came out worth a darn.