Thread: CBN Wheels Easier to Use With Jigs?

CBN Wheels Easier to Use With Jigs?

I have a question about CBN wheels. I was going to post it on a metalworking forum, but they don't seem to be as excited about CBN as woodworkers.

I am thinking about building a variable-speed grinder and putting CBN wheels on it. Right now I have white aluminum oxide. One of the big problems with these wheels is that they throw grit everywhere. I made a little sliding jig for sharpening HSS bits, and from time to time I have to clean grit out of it, because it gets stuck and will not slide.

Here's what I'm wondering: have any of you switched to CBN and noticed any improvement in problems like this? I know woodworkers use a lot of grinder jigs. I realize the CBN is going to stay on the wheel, so I would not expect problems with actual grit flying around, but I'm wondering if the ground-off metal is still going to make the jig stick.
    Cry "Havoc," and let slip the dogs of bench.

I was socially distant before it was cool.

A little authority corrupts a lot.

No problem with grit from the wheel, but there's still plenty of swarf from the metal being cut.

Think it's bad enough to obstruct metal parts that have to glide by each other?

I doubt it will be that bad. I have a magnet under the wheel and it catches quite a bit of the swarf. CBN has been great for me so far, but I am just a hobbyist.

Have I read somewhere that CBN wheels are not good for the health due to the type of swarf coming off them?? Using a really good dust extractor seems like a top idea and magnets in the guards to trap at least some of the swarf.
    Chris

Everything I like is either illegal, immoral or fattening

Blog Entries
    I am thinking about making some sort of way to hang my Festool Vacum at it or maybe a magnet.

The grit flying off a stone wheel drives me nuts and pollutes the air. As long as the CBN wheels last,the decision was a no brainer for me. They cut so fast it makes grinding plane blades kinda fun. I have found that as long as you do not push too hard the steel barely warms up. Hollow ground blades are so much easier to maintain. I like the fact that it is easy to sharpen hollow ground blades by hand too.

I have two wheels one with a modified Lee Valley rest and the other with a SB (Stuart Bailey) rest, available at Woodworker's Emporium. I like the rounded SB tool rest much better. It is also possible to buy a Tormek tool holding post and rig it up so you can use all the Tormek jigs. I think Derek Cohen shows how on the sharpening section of his Blog.

Acronyms, they're just great when you know what they are. This doesn't just apply to this conversation,but to many on this site .
    Why is it so easy to be a "know it all" with your initials, or acronyms! I get tired of searching the lists due to an inconsiderate author!
    Look how simple it was for Mike Holbrook "I have two wheels one with a modified Lee Valley rest and the other with a SB (Stuart Bailey) rest"
    Thanks, Mike! You couldn't have posted at a better time!
    P.S. gave up looking for "CBN wheel"
    Ed

Here you go Ed Cubic Boron Nitride [CBN] Grinding Wheels basic foundation is a combination of Boron and Nitrogen

From this page http://d-waytools.com/cbn-grinding-wheels
    Chris

Everything I like is either illegal, immoral or fattening

Well Ed, then you should probably know that SB is more likely to be Stuart Batty than Bailey. Of course, I be human so I may be in error, again.

I see the comment about the heat. I read some things about CBN that surprised me. They put 60% less heat into the work. The metal in the wheels absorbs a lot of it. Ceramic wheels don't conduct heat well, so the heat goes into the work. If the heat is reduced a lot, maybe it will make variable speed less desirable, since it will be easier to grind at high speeds without burning the steel.

I'm not sure what type of wheel to get. I see that they come with sharp edges, which means you get a lot of control when you need to make an inside corner, but you can also get them with a 1/4" radius on the outer edge.