Thread: Making altar candle stands

Making altar candle stands

I posted under "General Woodworking and Power Tools" to get help with cutting angles. The thread is named, Check my work - 8 sided pyramid - finding miter cutting angle.

I am switching over to Turner's Forum since the rest of the work will be lathe work. These will end up as two altar candle stands, each about 9" wide and 18" high.

My next step is to cut and fit a base that will be glued into the 8-sided pyramids. I'll screw a faceplate into the base and use the tailstock in the narrow end. I'll fit a top plate onto the top that will hold 3" and 1" candles.

I will not be adding the coffee stains. Those are on the original plans only.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Veni Vidi Vendi Vente! I came, I saw, I bought a large coffee!

It's looking good. The joints appear to be tight and I'm confident it'll turn well.

Next time, consider using the bird's-mouth bits from Lee Valley or MLCS. Lee Valley has an excellent explanation of how to use bird's-mouth joints, including on how to use them to make tapered cylinders. The advantages of using bird's-mouth bits are that glue ups are easier, the bit ensures the angles are correct, and the joints are stronger because of the larger glue area. Here's a link to Lee Valley's explanation of the use of bird's-mouth joints: http://www.leevalley.com/US/shopping...s.aspx?p=45202
    Last edited by David Walser; 11-04-2015 at 12:43 PM. Reason: Correct a typo
    David Walser
    Mesa, Arizona

Blog Entries
    Looking good Brian. This will be fun to ride along on.
    "A hen is only an egg's way of making another egg".

– Samuel Butler

Quote Originally Posted by David Walser View Post
    It's looking good. The joints appear to be tight and I'm confident it'll turn well.

Next time, consider using the bird's-mouth bits from Lee Valley or MLCS. Lee Valley has an excellent explanation of how to use bird's-mouth joints, including on how to use them to make tapered cylinders. The advantages of using bird's-mouth bits are that glue ups are easier, the bit ensures the angles are correct, and the joints are stronger because of the larger glue area. Here's a link to Lee Valley's explanation of the use of bird's-mouth joints: http://www.leevalley.com/US/shopping...s.aspx?p=45202
    That looks excellent, David!

Quote Originally Posted by David Walser View Post

Just a heads up, with the bird's mouth joint the glue lines will no longer be straight once the curved profile is turned (unless the curve is very shallow) which may be an appearance issue depending on the finish applied.

Good note. The curve will be in about an inch, so it would make a difference.

Progress and two questions:

The based is finished, on the first of two stands. The top piece is a test-run for shape. The glue-up is going to be the body of that top piece and I'll add a piece for the rim.

1st question - grain direction on the 6" x 1/2" rim.
    I could pick the most solid piece I can find and have a cross grain rim piece.
    I could also do an 8 triangle radius pattern with the grain going from the center to the rim all around.
    I could also do an 8 triangle piece so the long grain would be visible from all sides. What would you do?

whatever I do there will be a 1/4 recess in the rim piece so that there is a bit of side side to side grain glue.

2nd question - Do you have any artistic critique of the shape of he top piece? I did it pretty much as the client drew it. Any adjustments?

How would this be if I made the top part out of curly maple?

I would try a top that is a bit shorter, and more rounded

Thank you, Shawn.

Pair of Candle Stands Finished

The candle stands are finished. I am very pleased with the result. They match aesthetically and have a little of that "hand-made variation" built in. These will go to Mesa Verde United Methodist Church in So. Cal.

You did an excellent job Brian! They look great!