Thread: Pecan Burl Bow/Cup

Pecan Burl Bow/Cup

My time at the lathe has been few and far between. I acquired some pecan burls from a buddy who had to cut down a tree. I'm going to trade him a pen and the cup for the rest of the wood. I had a great big burl but it ended up being rotten through and through, but I was able to salvage this bowl and cup from smaller pieces. The bowl is about 6" tall/across. I had planned on no foot, but as I was turning the bottom of the bowl I got into some really punky stuff and I to remove the foot would have created a lampshade. Also, when it dried it basically dried square. I decided to cut the corners off when I finish turned it but I didn't go perfectly round. This piece seems to have some character so the wall thickness is variable and the rim is not flat. I had to fill some major voids with epoxy, as well as filling the bottom and foot with epoxy so it would hold together. I'm not crazy about the shape but I like the personality. I dyed it with tinted shellac to bring out some of the figure, then sanded (actually did this 3 times- had a hard time getting the dye even) then sprayed lacquer on it with an airbrush, sanded with 400 grit, more lacquer then wet sanded with 1500/2000 grit, then a Mr. Clean magic eraser then buffer's polish. The sheen doesn't show up in the pics, but its got a buttery smooth glossy sheen to it. I'm very happy with how it feels in the hand.

Where did I put that?

Reallu great character and workmanship. I love it. Kinda reminds me of me in a mirror.