Thread: Started a tool tote......

Started a tool tote......

Made it nice and LONG so a full sized saw, or a No. 7c plane could ride along. Didn't care for the "Just nail it together.." for the corners, so..
    jointer shavings.jpgIMAG0295.jpgblock plane.jpg
    saw a few angles, joint a few edges. So far, just a single BORG 1 x 6 x 8' plank of pine has been "molested". Lay out some lines on an end..
    dovetail layout.jpg
    Grab a saw and make a bit of sawdust..
    handsaw.jpg
    Then a few chisels and a mallet...
    chopping tools.jpg
    Until these show up..
    pin board.jpg
    yep, it be at an angle, as the sides and ends both splay out. later on, I might get out the protractor to see what the angle is...
    Got one corner done, before the bad back flared up, again. Gave it a test fit....
    IMAG0305.jpg
    Well, it IS a start, anyway. The two are sitting upside down on the bench. I need to do a little fine tuning, then apply the lessons learned to the other three corners. Unlike Underhill's Tote, all four sides on mine will lean out. Still have to cobble a handle, and plane the edges of an Oak plank to fit into the bottom. Might even add a rack along one side to hold chisels and svrewdrivers? We'll see......now, IF this old back would just let up for a while.....

I haven't planed any bevels on the top or bottoms..yet. When things are all nicely assembled, and I figure a way tohold the tote still, that jointer plane will level the playing field. Once I get close to any assembly, I can lay out for the handle, and dig out a couple mortises to house it in.

This will be the "Traveling Tote", as I usually have things to build or repair at my Daughter's place. I can load this up with what tools I THINK I'll need, toss the tote into the back of the van and drive the 40+ miles to her place. At least that is the plan.
    Another look at this corner?
    test fit.jpg
    yep...just a test fit...

I like your, ummmm, dovetail saw (cough cough).

Pretty nice start on that.

Last time I cut dovetails on an angle, it was unintentional

Come to think of it, I have never done anything like that. You always do great work (or at least your final product that you show to the world looks nice).

Hey Steven, thanks again for the blades. I been swamped so I haven't had a chance to give em' a ride yet, but I'll be sure to take a nice picture for ya.
    I was gonna mention your dovetail saw too haha. I'd actually like to hear more about the saw. How long is it? In the picture it looks like about 10-12 ppi, is it crosscut filed? Or do you just do like my Dad used to, grip it and rip it lol

It seems to be a 20" long Panel Saw. 10ppi, and seems to be filed as crosscut. Still has a very nice etch to it. Was sold a long time ago by a supply company in Cleveland, OH.

Handle is very compfy for my hands. Medallion says it is a Warranted Superior. It is a skew back, as well. Doesn't appear to have been shortened. And, it is quite sharp.

When I used the whole saw to make the cuts, didn't take long at all.