Thread: Crescent 20 in Foot Powered Bandsaw Restore Video

Crescent 20 in Foot Powered Bandsaw Restore Video

Hi all,

Been a member for a long time but not very active.

Did want to pass along to everyone this link to a video I posted on YouTube about my restoration of a Crescent 20 inch Foot Powered Bandsaw.

There is also a link to one on a Barnes 4 1/2 metal lathe. More to come now that I have time.

If anyone has one of these band saws with the heavy lower wheel, I would be interested or interested in just the lower wheel as I have a normal one to trade. Just love foot powered machinery, Until next time, just keep on pedaling!.

Thanks Ed

Crescent Bandsaw https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=akgRSOB3dLs

Metal lathe https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=t3k0QL3kbDA

Blog Entries
    Very very cool. I wonder how much use these got in the past.

Long time not visiting the site.

Judging by the few that survive even in the "foot powered parts tossed away" condition, don't think they sold many. Several factors likely came into play.

Think the Crescent would have been about $60 in that time and the blades about a $1 each. That compared to a Barnes foot powered (#7 or #2) scroll saw at about $20 and blades at ten cents.

Barnes said the scroll saws with a 20 inch throat would cut up to 2 inches. Have done 1 1/2 SYP gingerbread myself. Even with the momentum of the heavy pedals and flywheel on the Crescent, 2 inches is the upper limit for any foot powered saw unless you are really strong and in great condition.

Still looking for a lower wheel that is heavier (got one left to restore) or a full saw or any other foot powered bandsaw.

Just love the stuff.

Thanks Ed

Fascinating videos Ed, thank you. I had not seen a foot powered bandsaw before. I imagine you would have Popeye legs if you spent much time running them.
    Please help support the Creek.

"It's paradoxical that the idea of living a long life appeals to everyone, but the idea of getting old doesn't appeal to anyone."
    Andy Rooney