Thread: Handling a Bark Inclusion in an HF - Seeking Advice

Handling a Bark Inclusion in an HF - Seeking Advice

I am in the process of turning a hollow form with a bark inclusion that I would like to highlight. This piece has already been rough turned and is dry. Dealing with a bark inclusion will be a first for me and I have a couple of questions that I'd like to get input on prior to going further. I have the outside turned and sanded and am about to begin refining the hollowing. Here are my questions:

• How thin should I turn this? It would seem to me that if turned too thin, the inclusion will be diminished, but I just don't know. I was thinking something like 1/4" or 3/16".
    • Would it be best to use CA on the bark prior to final hollowing or is that reserved for natural edge bowls?

Any input appreciated.

IMG_0793.JPGIMG_0794.JPG
    Regards,

Glen

Woodworking: It's a joinery.

I like to include the inclusions into my bowl designs. Here are few....read next post for advice .....Safety!!!

DSCF0257.jpgDSCF0278.jpgDSCF0274.jpg
    Last edited by mike ash; 11-06-2015 at 11:29 AM.

Just sent some pics of a few I've turned, but forgot to answer some of your Q's. The wall thickness of mine are about 1/4". I use sharp tools, make light cuts and of course stay out of the line of fire. Stay alert to safety issues on these bowls.Keep checking your wood to see that things are staying intact. I see a piece on the upper part of the hole in your's that I would be concerned about, You might want to complete the final turning on the outside and then wrap some duct tape around that area to keep it from flying off. Then complete the inside. Safety....safety.....safety!!!! Did I say Safety yet??!!

Instead of duct tape use shrink wrap.

Safety is a concern, IMO it is more of an issue when turning the outside. I find it fairly easy to stay out of line of fire when hollowing. The wall thickness is primarily about two things: safety and aesthetics. Choose a thickness that will look good to you or a thickness that you believe the piece will survive; whichever is greater.

1/4" thick walls look good to me, when they are thinner most people are impressed but are also afraid to touch the piece; bad for sales if that matters to you.

CA definitely. Use sanding sealer or rattle can dewaxed shellac prior to applying glue to prevent staining. Take it off when you sand. Bark stabilized.

In future, try turning green to final thickness, then dry enough to sand. Don't go back inside to turn. Use CA method prior to sanding this way too. Might warp a liitle, but results are pleasing.

Bark in most cases needs to be stabilized but yields beautiful results.